Limping Buff Orpington!

Cassondra53

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
Hello friends!
My buff Orpington started limping today, and is favoring her left foot a bit. Her right foot has had a callus on it for many months and it has never bothered her that I could tell, so I haven’t done anything about it. Aside from that callus that she’s had for a long time now, she’s looking perfectly normal and I’m not sure what’s going on.
My question is - when is it time to go to the vet? What are the red flag warnings when you know things aren’t going to get better?
I'm planning on spraying her foot with antibacterial tonight once she’s up on the roost.
Thank you all! I appreciate the help!!

I’m sorry no one noticed your thread for a few days.

Has his limp gotten better yet? Do you have photos of the bottom of his foot? It could be bumble foot, which if you catch it early enough only a few foot baths should do the trick. I’d recommend bathing it in some Epsom salts just incase it’s a cut or something that you need to keep clean. Looking at the foot would help determine if you need to see a vet. He might have sprained it, which if the bottom of his foot looks good is most likely the case.

Again, I’m sorry about it took a few days for people to notice this thread. Please don’t be discouraged from posting threads.

thanks everyone! I have just done a ton of research and looked at pictures of infection “plugs” and I am not seeing the same thing on my sweet chicken, as far as I can tell. Her callus has layers that I can kind of spread apart (tried to show this in the second picture). It doesn’t look inflamed to me, but I’m definitely not a bumble foot expert. She puts weight on that foot and walks around normal, but only does a little limp when she runs. I do not want to cut into her foot if it’s not bumble foot, so all advice it super appreciated!
thank you!!! And sorry her feet weren’t super clean when I took the pictures ☺️
1775037D-DEA2-429C-8E66-D189E4B31757.jpeg
3D6C0F8D-D601-43AF-844F-4F280C3BC879.jpeg

I agree, that doesn't look like bumblefoot. It may be that her limp is coming from somewhere higher up on the leg that she may have landed on wrong or something like that. You can try giving her some crushed baby aspirin over a favorite treat (mine LOVE watermelon) - I get the 81mg baby aspirin, cherry flavored and then mash it up onto a treat. Some folks dissolve regular aspirin in the water, but I like to make sure the intended dose reaches the right bird ... and using the smaller baby aspirin tablets takes a lot of the dose guess work out of the equation. Only treat for a couple of days with aspirin.

Doesn’t look like bumble foot. Have you cleaned it off with Epsom salts yet? She might have sprained her leg, or there could be a small cut on her foot.
DE523D9D-C91F-4C39-98AD-8CED1FDA7F82.jpeg

Did she scratch her own foot to make this cut? Was it there before you did anything with it? This might be hurting her foot when she runs, and if it isn’t I would still bath it in Epsom salts until it heals to stop it from getting infected and turning into bumble foot.

Back
Top Bottom