Limping Chick??? ***hobble question!!!**** UPDATED W/ PIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by koakritters, Jul 22, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    These guys are just not doing me any favors this time around... I only had 2 hatch, one died, and now this one, now that it's up and walking (1 day old), it's got a very noticeable limp going on! it doesn't want to put any weight on it's left leg. not swollen, no deformities, and you can gently rotate the leg at the hip and nothing feels like it's hitting another bone or anything... I'm thinking of trying the hobble splint on it, maybe that'll help?? What do you think? Also, how would you do hobbles on a feathered legged chick???

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I would recomend using vet wrap(can be found at any tractor/feed supply store. Comes in an assortment of colors) to hobble her/his legs. It could be straddle/splay legs. Sometimes that cam make a chick sore, or a muscle ortendon could have come loose. Do some research on that. I had a chick hatch that had a swollen knee joint and I thought that the achilles (not spelled right, I'm sure) tendon had slipped, which can be common. Can the chick straiten out the leg without discomfort? Can you manually straiten out the leg without causing the chick pain? If it isnt a tendon or muscle, then definately go with the hobble. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    yah, looking at it and moving it nothing seems wrong, but it's limping. vet wrap! dunno why i didn't think of that, seeing as my horse goes through it like crazy... [​IMG]

4. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    the chick keeps falling and getting stuck on its back, is there any way to get it to stay upright?

5. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    You can make a swing for it. Google it or search it on this forum. Definately hobble, if you havent already. I think the swing will help, though.

6. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I've got it hobbled, but it's still not wanting to put weight on it's left leg, it stands there with it's leg in the air and hops on one foot. nothing looks or feels wrong with the leg other than that though... seem healthy and happy, eating, drinking...

7. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    I have a chick doing exactly what yours is doing. She does have a serious leg deformity, though. It is possible that the chick's bone is twisted, but you cant see it. Thats what happened to my chick, but the whole leg is rotated. Feel both legs and compare. If it is eating, drinking, and developing normally, keep it alive, dont even consider culling it. Maybe it just bruised its leg on the way out of the egg. Keep an eye on it, it may go away. Gook luck!

8. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    This is what she's doing still even with the hobbles on, you can just see it better this way.

and she CAN straighten her leg so it's not the Achilles Tendon thing...

[​IMG]

9. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    She's not getting any better, even with the hobble on. Just leans to the right and refuses to put any weight on that leg...

10. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    She very well could have an internal deformity. You may not be able to see the bone or whatever it is that is deformed, but she may limp like that forever... It may improve as she grows up, though. Sorry I cant be of more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by