Limping chick, hope I am doing things right

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RedReiner, Mar 22, 2011.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    my momma hen has 5 babies, they are around 5 weeks old. yesterday one of them was limping and sitting down a lot. wearing himself out trying to keep up. today he was even more tired and kind of shivery. sooo..I grabbed him and his brother and put them in a crate and brought them in the house. Momma is not to happy....apparently she knows how to count. Anyway I have them in the house, its about 72 in here, do they still need a light if they dont have mom?
    I gave them medicated chick started and water, they are in a crate on clean shavings. of course they are not happy but I cant help that part. about all I can do for him is let him rest and heal inside. there is no wound that I can see, I think he got pecked hard or stepped on. I did put his brother in here so he would not be alone, hoping to lessen the stress. any other suggestions?? he is a large english Orpington, bigger than his hatch mates.

2. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Anyone???? I dont want them to get to cold cause I didnt put a light on them, nor do I want to put a light on them and make them to hot.....

3. ajacskr

ajacskr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Talbott, TN
    As long as they have started feathering out, and by 5 weeks they should have started, they should be fine in 72 degree temps.

Good luck with the chicks

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    If they huddle together then they are cold. I find when there is a hurt chicken, warmth seems to work wonders, along with tons of TLC. Good luck

5. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Thank You, I have them in a dog crate and the hurt baby finally laid down and stretched out on his side. his breathing is a bit heavy but he looked relieved and was eating some bread crumbs. he rolled over a time or two. glad I grabbed his brother for company.
    I put the crate in front of the heat register. they were not huddled together like they were cold. I still dont know why he is limping [​IMG] big strapping english orp chick too...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by