Limping chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oEch0o, May 1, 2017.

1. oEch0o

oEch0o Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    I have six 2 week old chicks and so far I've got two problems. One I have already gotten advice for but this new problem started a couple days ago. The tiniest of my Orlaff chicks is now limping. I left it to observe for a day but she seems to have given up now. She isn't interested in much but sleeping. Won't walk anymore. Is there a way to help her through this when I'm at school most of the day. What's her chances of getting over this if she just doesn't want to do anything anymore

2. CityKidChickens

CityKidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    My chicken had mareks. It was sad and I had to kill it and bury it so it didn't spread. It causes paralysis. If it flops around and can't move part of itself. i am afraid you are out of luck. So sorry. But it could just be an injured leg.

3. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    He's the only one. I'm thinking about moving him to a separate set up so he can rest. I fear for the worst since in my experience, when an animal is ready to give up living, you can't save it. That's almost always the case for me. You can see when they've given up, but I don't think he has just yet

4. peacockfeather

peacockfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    Hello! It could be a leg injury or it could be a slipped tendon (caused via genetics by parents deficient in magnesium). A slipped tendon has no cure except surgery, but either way, you can use a little vet wrap to add some support to the little guy, especially if you suspect an injury. You can tell if it's a slipped tendon by touching the tendon of the leg and feeling if it's stretchy, almost like a rubber band. If he's in pain, you can offer him a very tiny piece off of a chewable baby asprain in a cup of water (I'm not sure of chick dosage, but I have given half a tablet to a cup of water for a guinea hen with great results), which will take the edge off and is safe for birds.I would isolate him though, if possible, to expedite healing, should it be an injury. And you'll know he's getting the Asprain water (the Asprain will dissolve). But make sure it's low dose chewable or baby. I hope he gets better soon!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    Thank you!

6. oEch0o

Feb 5, 2017
    What can I do if he won't eat. He drinks still but no eating unless he eats when I'm not home. My mom isn't too inclined to wrap his foot up either, will he be ok without it

7. peacockfeather

peacockfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    He might not be eating if he's in pain. He should be ok if you don't wrap his foot - that's just for more support

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by