Limping Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindiwe, Dec 11, 2011.

1. lindiwe

lindiwe New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    Hi
    I wonder if any one can advise me on the correct course of action. I have a two week old chick that has started limping as of two days ago. She appears to have had her hip dislocated. She is bending her hock then using the hock and foot in a straight line for support, so she sort has a shorter leg on one side. The good legs sits neatly under her , but the sore one stands away from her body from the hip. She is still eating , and drinking and at this point keeping up with her Mum. But I have noticed every now and again she gets tired and then just sits and peeps. I have tried isolating her inside but she peeps really loudly for her surrogate Mum. Should I put something on that hock that is suddenly taking so much pressure? Should I keep her inside even if she makes a noise, just so she isnt doing so much work with that leg. Will it heal itself or will she forever limp. I am so worried, her leg appears sore. All i have done is put a drop of Comfrey in my hens drinking water in the hope that the chick gets some and it helps with the repair. Any advice is most welcome.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Try Searching "Splayed Legs".. see if that helps, there is some good info out there if you use the Search here you can read up on it. I read about a "rubber band treatment".. so.. you might also look for that one.. or search "rubberband for splayed legs"?

Good luck. Sorry I can't be more help. Have not experienced this myself.

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There is info on treating a number of leg problems on the site linked in my sig below.

Putting a Hock Cushion on right away should minimize the chick developing incorrect movement patterns as an effort to avoid the pain of rubbing.

You can use the "Fix Slipped Achilles Tendon in Hock Joint" section on the page if you think the tendon might have slipped.

Can you post a photo? That would really help with being able to give best suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. lindiwe

lindiwe New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    I have made a short video of her walking,

Thanks for all advice.

5. lindiwe

lindiwe New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    I dont know if I am just being hopeful, but her leg looks a bit better today. She isnt using the hock as much.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It seems like maybe her foot is sore.

That could maybe be why she's holding it off the ground. And why when she needs to rest, she puts most of her weight on her hock rather than the foot.

Carefully look over her foot for injuries & feel for broken bones. See if she reacts with pain to gentle pressure on any specific points.

She may have a dislocated hip instead, though ?????

I'd definitely tape on a little hock cushion (even just use a folded papertowel or small piece of washcloth or something).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by