1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lablover, Nov 7, 2014.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    This chick is 12 weeks old and has been limping like this for at least 2 days. I noticed it limping several weeks ago, for just a day or two, but not nearly this bad. It was still able to keep up with the flock. Today the chick seems better than yesterday, but it slept in the nest box last night instead of the roost. What could be wrong?
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Mareks? I"m sorry, I don't have any personal experience with that disease, but I know it presents itself in the legs.

3. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    That is what I am afraid of after reading on here a bit. The chick was hatched by one of my hen's, so I know it and the others aren't vaccinated. :(

4. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Does anyone have a good guess? What can I do for now? I've read up on Marek's and found some "cures" on here that I'm willing to try if they won't hurt the chick. I also ready about vitamins for leg problems, but what kind do I give? What worries me is this started several weeks ago in a very mild case. The chick would just walk funny on that leg like it was asleep and it was trying to place it on the ground, Obviously the video above shows it much worse.

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked thoroughly for bumblefoot or a strain/sprain? Is there any dark spots on the top or bottom of the foot-even a tiny one? Does it feel swollen or warmer than the other foot, or colder for that matter?

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It would be a good idea to start giving the chicken some Vitamin D3 and selenium...not all leg problems are due to Marek's! Try giving some scrambled eggs and tuna fish to start with...as the above poster says...check for any injuries, signs of bumblefoot...

7. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    No signs of bumblefoot that I can tell, and it's neither colder nor warmer than the other leg. :/ It doesn't seem to be getting worse though. I checked for bumblefoot when it first happened several weeks ago. I mashed the pad, and moved the leg around and nothing seemed to hurt.

8. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    The same problem seems to be forming in the other leg today. :(

9. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Botulism, Marek's or vitamin deficiency all come to mind. Are you supplementing with a chicken vitamin? Rooster Booster with Lacto Baccilus is what is frequently recommended on here, and it what I use. Has this chick been anywhere where it could have gotten into something rotting?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It seems like Mareks disease, but in this link about Mareks, there is a section about diseases that can look like Mareks, such as lead or chemical poisoning: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

In some Mareks cases there can be early symptoms of paralysis which may go away, and then return as lymphomas grow on the nerves in the legs and elsewhere. There is a blood test for Mareks that can be drawn by a local vet and sent off to Texas A&M, and it can also be diagnosed with a necropsy on a chicken that dies. You can contact your state vet to ask questions about that. Here are some more links to read:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by