1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping chicken, bloated chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JHillgrove, May 1, 2016.

1. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    So one of my hens has been limping for a while and I just thought she would get better because I have had chickens get injured and heal themselves and stop limping so I thought that would happen, but she is still limping. A couple weeks ago I noticed she wouldn't get off the roost in the morning. So I went and lifted her down and I noticed her abdomen was extremely bloated, she felt like a huge water balloon all squishy. If fact I was nervous to handle her too much, thinking I checked for an egg thinking she had an egg stuck inside, but I don't feel anything hard inside. I looked around online for reasons a chicken would be bloated, all the reasons I could find were really bad and there was nothing you could do to help, So I thought it was a lost cause and I thought she would die in a day or two.
    It has been weeks and she is still alive.. She has poop butt all the time, she stopped getting onto the roosts and instead, sleeps on the floor in the corner. I never see her try to lay an egg. She still limps but also has stopped walking around too much, now she will find a sunny spot and lay around most the day unless something disturbs her.
    Any ideas?

2. windhillmom

windhillmom Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Hi Jill I know it's been a while but I was wondering if your chicken was still alive I have a cochin and doing exactly the same thing I thought she had hurt her leg for a long time but now recently she won't walk around. all my cochin's have big bellies and have never acted sick so I didn't think it was an issue I did poke her four times with a large needle trying get fluid but nothing came out. Any suggestions

3. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    No unfortunately there has been no change. I thought she would get worse or better but she is still waddling around when she has to, sitting most the time. Sleeping on the floor of the chicken coop at night and still has poop butt, not as bad if I keep giving her baths when it gets too bad. I have no idea what is wrong and I got no replies to my post so I guess no one else has any idea.
    Wish you luck with your hen.

4. windhillmom

windhillmom Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    I brought her in today, I'm going to give her vitamin b and extra protein. I've read some things about this. Her poops are fine and I always have to keep the cochins bottoms clean anyway, with all they're feathers fly strike is an issue in the summer. I'll let you know if anything helps her, I just might take her to a vet. Thanks for responding. Melody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by