1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping chicken - I can't catch her to look at her foot though

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrauHuhn, Dec 15, 2013.

1. FrauHuhn

FrauHuhn New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Hi - I read some other threads about limping chickens, and now I'm a bit freaked out. This morning I let our 3 chickens out of their run to scratch around in the yard. When I sent toward the feed bin, they came running like they always do, but one was limping while running. She now limps around. She's not laying down, and she does scratch with that foot, but she is definitely limping. She is impossible to catch though, so I haven't been able to look at her foot other than when she holds it up.

My questions are -
    1) if she's that mobile that I can't catch her, should I be as worried as I am?
    2) any tricks to catching her?
    3) if I can catch her, how can I hold her still to look at her foot?

I'm worried more than usual because we are leaving the country for 2 weeks. A neighbor is coming over every other day to check on them, but if something is really wrong (like in the thread where they eventually had to euthanize the chicken), I don't know what to do. btw, the vet who will see chickens doesn't work Mondays, and I can't take off from work Tuesday. We leave the country early Wednesday.

Thanks!

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    She may have sprained it or something. If she is scratching with it and not in serious pain I would leave her and keep an eye on it. If you can't catch her during the day grab her while she is roosting. That is of course if you can tell them apart from each other without seeing he walk. If not put a mark on each one while they are sleeping and then watch which bird limps the next day. That way you can then tell which is the one limping while they roost. If you hold a chicken upside down they calm down pretty well.

3. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Even if you do catch her what are you going to be able to do for a limp? I'd just leave her be and she if it gets better in a few days. You may hurt her more trying to catch her. Jmo

4. FrauHuhn

FrauHuhn New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I'll wait another day before doing anything more. Great idea to wait til she's roosting if I need to catch her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by