Limping chicken/missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gracielouwho, Sep 6, 2014.

1. gracielouwho

gracielouwho Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    I have a 25 week old barred rock hen and I came home after being gone a couple hours this morning and she will not stand on her left foot. She is limping and missing a lot of feathers on that leg and all up her breast on that side looks as if her feathers have all been plucked out. It also looks dry and scabby. I have attached a picture here. I also don't see any signs of bumble foot. I have separated her from the others she is in her own pen right now. I just don't know what this could be unless she is getting picked on. I have not had any problems as of yet with them. I have 4 more hens and one rooster. All the same age and breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gracielouwho

Sep 6, 2014
    She is eating and drinking

3. gracielouwho

Sep 6, 2014
    If she gets better do I just add her back into the flock? I have no idea what I'm doing right now and the sad thing is that when I accidentally posted in the wrong are is when I got help telling me to list somewhere else. [​IMG]

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Have to say I'm not sure what's going on there. Keep the hen separate, clean the area twice/day, apply neosporin if it looks 'icky'. When it clears up you can add her back to the flock but keep a very close eye on her just in case it is picking/bullying, good luck! [​IMG]

5. gracielouwho

Sep 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gracielouwho

Sep 6, 2014
    She kinda seems to be picking at the feathers that are around the area I have dusted her and put bag balm on all the open skin. I so lost. I know she's not happy in the spot she's in but I have no choice [​IMG]

7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Check through her feathers very carefully - she possibly may have lice or mites. Do any other birds have the same problem?

8. gracielouwho

Sep 6, 2014
    no mites or lice that we could see and I have dusted her with DE. No other chickens have this problem =( I dusted all of the others, the coop, and the run just for safety measures.

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I guess it's 'wait and see', I really don't have any other ideas or suggestions at the moment. Please keep us posted on her progress,[​IMG]

10. gracielouwho

Sep 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

This was her poop tonight. I am so lost here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by