Limping chicken. Mites, a sprain or something else...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SampyArctica, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SampyArctica

SampyArctica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    So, as the title says, I caught one of my girls limping today.

We are currently combating a mite (I think) infestation, the coop has been cleaned out, sprayed inside, the ceiling, the walls and all around the perimeter, bedding dusted, chickens have all been dusted as well, of course - but after noticing my girl limping today, we examined her feet and noticed she still had mites.

Now, all four of my girls have been acting completely normally - no pecking at themselves or each other, no missing feathers, they still have a healthy appetite and are drinking plenty of water, their poops look normal, they were wormed just a few weeks ago, the one that I caught limping doesn't seem to acknowledge her limp with any sounds of pain, nor does she peck or anything at her leg. The only sign is basically that she just doesn't stand on it as long as her other foot. She doesn't act lethargic, or lay down very much - she still moves around quite actively. I had them out to free-range today and she was all over the yard, as per usual.

If I hadn't of seen the little critters for myself when I cleaned out their bedding, I would never have known they even had mites. We're doing our best to try and rid them, but I'm worried about my limping chicken (even if she isn't acting worried herself!) - is her limping possibly brought on by them? It's only one out of my four girls who is doing it.

I have some pictures. This is her 'sore' foot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is her 'normal' foot:

[​IMG]

The only other background information I could offer is that we recently moved a small run into the main chicken coop to help one set of girls get used to the younger set of girls before we combine the 'flock'. The two older girls, including the one that's currently limping, have been seen perched on top of the smaller run and often jump up/down from it.

What do other people think...?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've never heard of mites causing a limp. My first thought was bumble foot but you did a really good job with the pictures and I'm not seeing any sign of a bumble. Just in caseā€¦.there is a picture of a bumble on my blog (link in signature) so you can take a closer look and see if you see something similar on her foot. However in the absence of the typical bumble black disk, I would say it is likely to be a strain, possibly from jumping off something high and/or landing wrong. If that is the case, there is nothing to do but wait for it to heal.

3. SampyArctica

SampyArctica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hmm, I'm not seeing any sort of abnormal lump or black-disc scab or anything on the bottom of her feet...maybe it's just a sprain from jumping off the top of the run. I hope that's all it is, anyway!

Thanks for your feedback, I guess I'll just keep an eye on her to see if it gets better or if any lumps/bumps do come up on her feet. She's still limping today, neither for worse or better, but her behaviour is still otherwise same old, same old.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by