Limping chicken, nasal discharge and one watery eye

awesomefield

Hatching
Mar 15, 2016
Roosevelt
We just started our own flock this year with 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 sexlink and 1 Ameraucana. One of my BO's Honey, has been limping for a while. I had checked her feet for sores - there were none. Sometimes her wing droops, and sometimes I find her sleeping during the day and not running around with the flock. She eats and drinks fine and I've seen her chasing grasshoppers and acting fine despite her limp. She had a slight nasal discharge which I tried treating with VetRx, and just today I noticed that one of her eyes is watery looking. I just don't know what to treat her with. I've tried giving her grapefruit seed extract initially to help with the limp, but it has not gone away. Should I give her antibiotics?

Did the limp and runny nose start at the same time? It sounds like she has a respiratory virus. Most of the time it's mycoplasma or infectious bronchitis. Both are contagious and make the bird a carrier for life. You should separate her from the rest of the flock and treat with an antibiotic from the feed store. I would get tylan 50 and give her .5ml orally twice a day for 5 days. I'm not sure on the limp. I have had hens limp from sprains before but never with respiratory systems also.

I think she had the limp first, and I could have sworn it was on the left foot. I had her separated from the flock on chicken bed rest for a week, and when I released her, she started limping with the right foot, so I don't know if I started doctoring the wrong foot, or she just got hurt on the other foot! The nasal discharge is thin and watery, but does get crusty. She didn't have any breathing issues. But the watery eye, I just noticed today.

Back
Top Bottom