1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping chicken, please help. *pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarah54341, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Sarah54341

Sarah54341 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    I've just joined this forum to try find out whats wrong with her

She has been limping for the past 6 days. I noticed that she was sitting in odd places all day, then when I went over she tried to get up and stumbled. I thought it might have been a dead leg because she had been sitting for so long. But it hasn't gone away, she's been doing the same thing since then. She sits all day and pecks around her. She does eat and drink but only when I pick her up and put her near the water and food or hand feed her.

Here is some more information about her and her leg:
    Its her left leg, it doesn't seem to be broken and there aren't any visible wounds. Oh and it definitely isn't bumblefoot.
    She's a Rhode Island Red.
    She is 6+ years old (I adopted her, not sure exactly how old she is.)
    She hasn't had any other health issues up until now.
    As I said before, she has been limping for 6 maybe 7 days.
    I have absolutely no clue what has caused it, the roosting bar things in the coop aren't very high at all and she is one of two chickens. I'm positive she hasn't been injured by the other one.
    Both chickens are free-range and wander around the backyard.
    If you need anymore information please let me know.

Oh and yesterday I decided to put her in a small area where she can't move around too much and has food and water within reach. I'm not sure what else to do.
    What could be wrong and what should i do? Please help if you can.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. Sarah54341

Nov 5, 2011
    *update*

Here are a few more things I've noticed since my last post:
    -Her poo is very runny at the moment, its almost like water. That might be because she is only eating when I hand feed her, so it isn't her usual diet. Her but is filthy and I've cleaned it twice.
    -I caught her biting at underside/belly and inner thighs once.
    -Her tail is turned slightly downwards when she walks.
    -Her foot may be turned inward. I might just be imagining that.
    -She is standing up more than she had been the past few days. She spends a bit of time just standing still instead of sitting like before. She'll take a few steps then stand for a while.

I took some photos today and I will post them as soon as I find my camera cord, I don't think they'll be all that helpful though.

I'm desperate for advice here, I adore my two chickens and I hate seeing her limping about. I want help her, but I have no clue what to do.
    Thank you.

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I hope someone with more chicken experience pipes up soon [​IMG] You never know, we can get a LOT of information from photos.

5. Sarah54341

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you for your help so far kari_dawn, I appreciate it [​IMG] I've finally found my camera cord and posted enough to submit an image. Hopefully the photos help.

(It's her left leg. The one without the yellow tag)

Her standing:
    [​IMG]

Biting at her belly/inner thigh. Tail pointing down:
    [​IMG]

Sitting in a very odd position: (not how she usually sits, but I thought the image might be useful.)
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you'd like anymore information/images.
    Thank you.

6. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    i hope your chicken will be ok

i have a warren at pol now and sheis limping, i think she must have climbed high andjumped of landig funny

i put a pot on yesterday and got told to put her ina dog crate for a few days to help her rest and give her meat and eggs as the protien helps,

please dont take this as your full answer as it may be completely different and i am learning still too i just hope it can help a little.

hope all goes well

7. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    this is the 2nd post on the front page of this topic of the same concern and I am experiencing the same thing with my hen. All 3 have simliar symptoms..progressing limb problems. All 3 different ages. Hopefully one of us will figure it out. [​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well Sarah, it could just be that she had a bump or hurt herself jumping down from the roost. If it's too high.

So what I would do is quarantine her by herself and keep her calm. Check for swelling. If there is any put cold and then warm compresses on the area. Just for a few minute each. Can't hurt and might help. Also keep her from walking or running so she rests the leg. Just like you would do if it was you. Keep her off the leg for a few days.

Watch her, as long as she's eating , drinking and pooping those are good signs.

I wish her a speedy recovery,

rancher

Oh and welcome to BYC. You came to a great place. [​IMG]

9. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I have a hen that 2 years ago had the same problem. She hurt her leg real bad jumping down from the roost. Became very thin from not eating much. She could only walk a couple of steps before laying down. When she did walk, she had to use her wing for balance. I put her in her own crate, with pine shavings, food and water. I then put her in a separate run right next to the flock. At first, I never let her out of the crate, she was in there probably a week or two. Then, I started letting her out for only 15 min morning and evening to scratch and hobble around. As she got better, her let out time was longer and longer. Her total recovery took 3-4 months of doing this before she was well enough to be turned in with the flock again. Today, she is healthy and happy. She still as a slight limp, but nothing that affects her acting like a chicken. Be patient, because when they sprain a leg, it can take a long time. Hope she gets better.

10. Sarah54341

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you all so much for your help. It seems a lot of other owners have had the same issue.

I put her in a crate this morning and I'm about to move her indoors because the weather outside is crazy at the moment, its boiling hot one minute then pouring rain the next. Hopefully she gets better soon.

Thanks again everyone, your advice has been very helpful [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by