Limping chicken(s)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Irmasmom, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Irmasmom

Irmasmom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    So about 3 weeks ago one of my 11 mo old RIR was limping pretty bad when I went to let them out of the coop in the morning. She was still toe touching and getting around for the most part pretty well. I assumed she maybe fell off the roost and hurt herself? A week later I decided to take her to the vet and we did take an x ray of her leg. We cannot see anything obvious as to a fracture or such but she definitely has swelling up near her thigh. We put her on Pain/Anti inflammatory meds and antibiotics and i have separated her from the flock. She is in a large dog crate, with food and water and has a heat lamp on her currently because it is getting in the 20's at night currently. She isn't eating the greatest but definitely is eating. I have been cooking her up some oatmeal each day and mixing her chicken feed into it and she eats it well. She hasn't laid an egg in about 2 weeks I assume due to stress. I was at first freaking out about Mareks disease because i had brought some new pullets into the existing flock the last week of December but they aren't showing any signs and it seems that with Mareks they tend to die very quickly and this is going on for 3 weeks now. My slight concern however is that just a few days ago, whether it be coincident or not my leghorn now has a limp. VERY mild still total weight bearing and she is laying. I'm really not sure what else to do with the RIR at this point. I was going to continue her antibiotics and pain meds through the weekend and re-weigh her on Monday. If she has lost weight I think I may have to consider euthanizing!? If she hasnt lost weight I'm just nervous about introducing her back into the flock since I just dont know what is wrong with her. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would change her diet to High protein chick starter with the occasional eggs and tuna and put Sav-a-Chick in her water.Which can be found at any feed store.If there is inflammation in her legs i wouldn't suspect Mareks.How high is your perch?Does it seem like there having a hard time jumping off it?

3. Irmasmom

May 3, 2016
    I can definitely switch over her food I currently have chicks in the garage so that's easy!! The perch is a ladder style perch the top is about 5 foot off ground. Most of them hop down the steps but some do fly down. The ground is dirt floor and very well covered with shavings so it's not a hard solid floor. We have considered maybe taking away the top bar so they aren't so high. She definitely has lost weight though and I'm concerned about that! Thanks For your help

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    What does her poop look like?Do you see any abnormalities on her feet?Scabs,Redness,Bumblefoot.Can you feel up and down her leg and see which spot is the hottest.Puting her inside the house would probably work better too.Sick chickens like a dark/warm environment.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Irmasmom

May 3, 2016
    No obvious wounds on feet. No swelling except high on the leg what I would consider her thigh. Her poop was watery and green but has improved the past week of more normal consistency and color. I do have her under a heat lamp and well bedded but I could move her into attached garage for a little extra warmth. I cooked her oatmeal eggs and mixed with chick feed this morning I'll see if she ate it here in a bit but she has been liking the oatmeal/chicken feed mix.

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Im sure she will like it.Fingers crossed[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by