1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping chicken, vaccinated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchknmama, Sep 20, 2011.

1. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    My hen started limping while I was gone over the weekend and my husband was watching her. I came home and on Sunday noticed she was limping, I looked her over and cant see any signs of injury. She was bought at a hatchery and vaccinated for Mareks. Can a hen still get it if they are vaccinated. I have 7 hens, she is about 6 mths old. Thy have a small coop with three nesting boxes but a whole large corner of our yard to range in all day. Thanks for any advice.

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

It could just be an injury. She jumped off the perch funny, got into a squabble with another hen and had to run for it and sprained her leg. Give her some time...about a week to see if it heals up. If she's still limping just as badly, then I'd worry about Mareks or some other disease. In the meantime, watch her behavior and monitor her weight. If it's Mareks, there will be noticeable weight loss.

3. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    Not much help here, other than to tell you that one of my silkie girls limped for two weeks over the summer, had me all scared it could be Marek's, then gradually got better and better and now there is no limp at all. I would put vitamins in her water, try to keep her from jumping off high places or being bombarded by any aggressive /big roos, and hopefully she will get over it.

4. mom2sevenhens

mom2sevenhens New Egg

Sep 20, 2011
    My 3 wk old Australorp is limping tonight. We had her vaccinated, too. Do pullets often run into problems with getting off their perches and hurting their legs? We saw that some of the other pullets were stepping on her. For now, we've separated her to prevent further injuries. Is this a bad idea? She's still has access the warmth of the heat lamp, food and water. In case it's not obvious, we're new to raising chickens and injuries.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've had a hen limp for a month and one for 3 days. If it was Marek's, it would go from a limp to total paralysis pretty quickly, like a day or two.

6. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    Thanks everyone.. she is still limping but seems to be improving, and she is still laying regularly so hopefully she just strained her leg. Good luck to those of you who also have limping hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by