Limping chicken with hot foot but no swelling/lump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gearchickchick, Oct 5, 2015.

1. gearchickchick

gearchickchick New Egg

Oct 5, 2015
    I have a four month old barred rock pullet who started limping about three weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed that one of her feet is hot to the touch. There is no lump, swelling, or discoloration. I can see no evidence of a wound other than her "thumb" pad on the affected foot is a little tougher than the other. She has no other symptoms - she is eating well, very lively, flies/hops up to and down from the roost. She lets me palpate the foot with no objection and it doesn't seem like anything is broken. As of last night I have her quarantined in a small pen to prevent further injury and because I read that bumblefoot can be contagious. I thought about treating for bumblefoot as described elsewhere in this forum, but there's nothing to do surgery on. Should I administer antibiotic? If so, what, how, and how much? Will a topical antibiotic ointment do any good? Does anyone have any other advice to share? Thank you for any insights!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I can see no reason to isolate her. Even if she had bumblefoot, that is not a reason to isolate her. It gets complicated when you have to reintegrate a chicken that has been separated from her flock. She may have injured her toe or maybe she hasn't formed a scab yet. Antibiotics aren't usually necessary for bumblefoot, so I would wait and see.

3. LucyMatilda15

LucyMatilda15 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey there,

It does sound like bumblefoot, but you can't be sure unless you start seeing a scab or discolouration of the foot pad. She could have just simply landed badly and sprained a muscle in her foot after jumping from a place a bit too high for her. I know a couple of my previous chooks used to injure themselves by doing this.

If it is still causing grief, maybe give her foot a nice warm soapy bath to soothe any swelling and pain. [​IMG]

4. gearchickchick

gearchickchick New Egg

Oct 5, 2015
    Thank you for your replies! Relived to know it's not something I need to panic over. No improvement in her limp but the foot is no longer hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by