Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Egg 17, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hello one of my hens has ran down the ramp this morning because my rooster was chasing her and now she is limping and nothing feels broken dislocated and she don't have bumble foot she try's to walk on it and when she try's to run to catch up with the others she looks like a rabbit hopping so what should I do should I keep her in the house so she isn't hurting it more

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Maybe you should give her aspirin. Is her foot swollen?

BCP

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep an eye on her today to see if she is up walking around on it. If by this evening, she is limping badly or sitting a lot, you may want to cage her inside the chicken coop with the others with her own food and water. A dog crate is good. After a day or two, check to see if she can walk normally, and if not, keep her up for a week or two. Jumping up and down on roosts won't help it heal.

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well she was starting to walk on it better but then she tryed running and must have hurt it more I will keep her off the roost and from jumping and running around a lot even though she isn't the calmest to try and catch

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Not that I seen

6. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I would wait until it was dark and she goes to roost to try and catch her if you can, because that way she won't run all over the place like a crazy lady and hurt her leg more, know what I mean? But yes jumping down from the roost won't do her any favors, poor baby. Maybe she just "sprained" it. I have come to the conclusion that I just need a permanent special needs enclosure because it's always something with these chickens lol

7. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I'll try but as soon as they go into there house they hop up on the roost so she I just pick her down off the roost because she is the jumpy pest one as every time u go into the coop to pet her with the rest she screams at the top of her lungs so I have to let her outside or I'll get a headache listening to her scream because it ecos in there

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wait until it is fully dark and grab them when they are asleep. Those little $10 headlamp flash lights are great when they have a red light option. They allow you to sneak up without frightening them.

9. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    O ya I have an old flash light with a red lenses cap to cover the clear cap

10. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    That works too! I always wait until mine are on the roost to try and do ANYTHING to them. I think it is a lot easier on you and them. Although sometimes I lack the patience for that. Fortunately, I had plenty of chicken catchin' practice as a kid, UNfortunately, I lack my youthful reflexes LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by