Limping Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MasterOfClucker, Sep 4, 2016.

1. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    My new Welsummer is limping her limp is not that bad but you can defintnly tell if you look at her for a while she can walk but i think she injured it when one of them chased after her.Anything i should do or can she walk it off?

2. mrsdelore

mrsdelore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    I have a limping chicken checklist of things I look for.
    1. Bumblefoot or other injury to the bottom of the foot.
    2. Noticeable injury to the leg. I just give a quick feel to make sure it doesn't seem like a broken bone or anything out of place.

If I don't see anything during either of those checks, I usually give the chicken a soak in a warm bath (I have a little plastic dishpan I use) with Epsom salts. Try to get them to stay in for at least 10 minutes, longer if they will tolerate it.

I don't isolate them unless the limp is really bad and I don't want them moving at all. Otherwise, I will return them to the flock and keep a close eye on her over the next days to see if it's improving.

And if someone seems like they are in a lot of pain, I will give 1/4 of a low-dose aspirin - ONLY after I have confirmed there is no bleeding, including any signs of bruising which indicate some internal bleeding. But I always assume they can pull a muscle just like we can, so sometimes a little pain relief is all it takes to get them over the hump and on to healing.

3. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Ok I checked for bumble foot and her foot was a good as normal.Why exactly does a bath help just curious?

4. mrsdelore

mrsdelore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Just like when we have sore muscles, a warm bath with epsom salts helps loosen things up. :)

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Ok, i just did it it seems to be on the bottom of the foot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by