Limping Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmieD, Oct 26, 2016.

1. AmieD

AmieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    About 2 weeks ago, I found my chicken limping badly. She is unable to put weight on one of her legs. I brought her inside and have kept her separated from the others. I can't see any injury and I was unable to feel anything unusual. Her appetite has been good and I've been making her a scrambled egg every few days to give her a protein boost. The first week, she ate laying down. She now hops around and stands to eat. Any suggestions on how I can support her recovery or what I should expect? Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If there in no apparent wound, then maybe she got a sprain from landing wrong. That is one reason many peep suggest not to place roosts all too high. (not saying yours are). Another thing you may want to check for is Bumble foot. It may be present, but more likely chances are a sprain , in my opinion. She is Improving.
    WISHING YOU BEST... [​IMG]

3. AmieD

AmieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Thanks. She could have sprained it. My chickens love to get on top of the coop and perch on my fence. I have never seen her do this, but she may have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by