Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by talline, Feb 10, 2017.

1. talline

talline In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not you can move or delete if you want.

My year old Welsummer died yesterday in my arms, but before she did, she injured her leg a couple of days before.. (I'm not sure if it was broken or sprained.)
    She refused to walk and sat in a corner, but when she did get up she didn't want to walk on her injured leg. Moments before she passed last night, she was stargazing and had heavy labored breathing. I'm not sure what happened and if it could have been Mareks or something else like being egg bound? If anyone has any idea that would be appreciated a bunch. :(

Also, the rest of my flock is doing fine.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Star gazing, twisted or wry neck is common with Mareks, head injuries, in vitamin E deficiency, and in later stages of infectious diseases. Since she had not been using her leg, Mareks could have been a problem. About the only way to know if it was Mareks or something else, is to get a necropsy by a poultry lab or the state vet if you still have her body. Best is to refrigerate, not freeze, the body in a plastic bag and send it in as soon as possible. They will examine the feathers or any tumors that are found, and also look for other diseases. Let us know if you need info on contact information for state vets. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. talline

talline In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    The stargazing happened a minute before she died, before that her comb looked fine, eyes looked good..no symptoms of mareks that I could see. I think she hurt her leg when she jumped out of her coop (she roosted at the top part of the coop which is probably about 4 ft. up off the ground.)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's hard to say what caused the death without a necropsy (autopsy.) It's possible that she injured something internally that caused a hemorrhage or internal organ injury. Sometimes we can do our own necropsy at home to look at the internal organs and get some information. There is a good thread on BYC where people compare pictures they have taken of organs during a necropsy to get opinions on what they are seeing. Here is a link for contacting your state vet if you need to contact them for a necropsy:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by