Limping Chicken

Cmacc

Chirping
Oct 1, 2018
A4E5518E-2060-48C1-A5D4-7FE50CADE1E5.jpeg
A05675FC-7116-407D-A5FF-9881D83E9960.jpeg
Hello. My dear Annie is limping and the problem seems to be her left foot/leg. I noticed her sitting a lot yesterday while the flock was free-ranging but didn’t think much of it until I saw her limping today. She rests frequently.

Both of her feet feel warm to the touch, but I compared with other hens and they felt warming as well. I can’t seem to locate any distinct welling or a black “bumble”. I have taken pictures. Can anyone see a foot issue? Her one nail is kind of black, but I think that may be dirt? How should I proceed?

View attachment 1872628 View attachment 1872627 Hello. My dear Annie is limping and the problem seems to be her left foot/leg. I noticed her sitting a lot yesterday while the flock was free-ranging but didn’t think much of it until I saw her limping today. She rests frequently.

Both of her feet feel warm to the touch, but I compared with other hens and they felt warming as well. I can’t seem to locate any distinct welling or a black “bumble”. I have taken pictures. Can anyone see a foot issue? Her one nail is kind of black, but I think that may be dirt? How should I proceed?
I would try to wash her foot with warm water and antibacterial soap so you can get a better view of what's going on . There may be a scab or scrape you can't see due to the dirt or whatever is on her foot. Feel up the leg for any swelling or injuries. Look at her hock for swelling. She may of landed on it to hard. On of my roosters jumped off the porch railing and it was a hard land on his leg and he limped for a few.

First soak the feet in warm Epsom salt and dish detergent as @ashlierami suggested for about fifteen minutes to wash away the dirt and to soften the tissue.

Dry her off and then look carefully up and down her legs for signs of bruising. It will appear as faint greenish spots. Examine the toes and the tissue between the toes for the same greenish bruising.

Pay attention to the nails and nail beds for splinters or stickers or a hang nail.

Back
Top Bottom