NewYorkMama

Songster
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
7A18F779-DF70-47CC-A64B-9B9183C2A97C.jpeg
F6293A54-E43C-4632-9E8C-DDA7E9FB3465.jpeg
18921E8B-3D3D-473F-828E-B1843D1CCC2E.jpeg
7E0BEBF7-7FB5-4669-A0C3-883EB873DCB9.jpeg
Hello! I have a ~5 year old Buff Orpington hen who has had a slight limp for about 3 weeks. I’ve checked the pad of her foot and leg for injuries and see nothing. The last 2 days she’s begun really favoring one foot and hardly puts any weight on the right. She does NOT like being handled, so examination and treatment is stressful for her.
Still, I managed to snap a couple of photos— sorry for the quality. Does anything look off? Scaly leg mites? The curled foot is the one she’s not putting weight on. Open foot I just included for reference.

Yesterday I soaked her feet in Epsom salts & warm water and put a little anti microbial ointment on a slightly red area of her leg.

Today, I slathered the whole leg and foot in a chicken injury balm I have — it has lavender, etc for soothing/healing wounds.

Not sure what else to do.

I’m leaning towards she injured herself jumping off her roost bar — she’s a heavy girl. but I don’t know what to look for in the early stages of scaly leg mites. Hoping you all can help.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Curled under toes on one foot with weakness, can be a sign of an injury that has affected the nerve, and also can be a sign of Mareks disease. Usually Mareks is seen in young chickens, unless one has recently been exposed by a carrier. I would give her 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex or another source of riboflavin for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. Preventing her from roosting and forcing her to rest the leg in a dog crate in the coop with her own food and water, would be how I would treat her.

NewYorkMama

Songster
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Well, looks like there’s a big bump in the middle of her foot, which is usually bumble foot, unless she got bitten by something else
If it’s bumblefoot she must be in so much pain — I feel awful! Oh goodness. Should I try to keep soaking her feet? She really hates being held.

We have a very muddy/frozen yard this time of year… maybe I should keep her indoors for a bit? Thank you for your help.

NewYorkMama

Songster
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Curled under toes on one foot with weakness, can be a sign of an injury that has affected the nerve, and also can be a sign of Mareks disease. Usually Mareks is seen in young chickens, unless one has recently been exposed by a carrier. I would give her 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex or another source of riboflavin for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. Preventing her from roosting and forcing her to rest the leg in a dog crate in the coop with her own food and water, would be how I would treat her.
We added three chicks in spring — introduced them to the older ladies in July I believe. But they came from a reputable farm store — they would have been vaccinated.

I will separate her & start B vitamins. What doseage? Thank you so much.

Top Bottom