Limping chicken

Opiumbrella

Songster
Jul 30, 2021
My 20 week old pullet (thought it was a rooster till yesterday when it laid its first egg) was limping yesterday, it was only slight, I couldn’t really find anything wrong when I noticed it at roost time. I roosted them in a cage to avoid jumping and allow for more comfortable space to lay without having to rely on the foot. I gave them poultry cell, just because anytime there is stress I do that. Upon much closer inspection I find on the foot that is being favored no swelling or heat, but a new growing feather that has blood on it around where it is coming from the skin. First off can this cause a sore foot? Like an ingrown toenail or something? And two, what do I do? Leave it in and keep it clean as possible or yank it out? I really don’t want to hurt him, but if it is damaged and bleeding I don’t know if I should leave it alone. Any input would be appreciated.

Can you get a picture?
I can in a bit yes. I’m not able to right this second. But it just looks like a normal feather growing in, the shaft with the feather peeking out at the top, like all mew feathers, but it just has a small ring of blood aroun the base. Not dripping or anything like that. And it is tender to touch. And the OnLy thing I can find off about the foot or the leg. Hock is fine foot is strong and grasping, no swelling or injury anywhere no bumble foot, and no other symptoms. They are lying down a lot, but not in a lethargic way. In a my foot hurts way. And they are alert and have a great appetite. And are pecking around in the dirt while they lie down. But will get up and runt to you for food. My fort thought at this age is “please god not mareks” but this doesn’t seem like that at all.

Can you get a picture?
D0B5D113-BB21-443B-928C-59A9356F9633.jpeg
You can see it’s bleeding around the base. Never very bad,just A little. This is the ONLY thing I can find and on the foot they are favoring. He sits back on his hocks too sometimes cause I think it hurts. I’m also giving vitamins in case it happens to be nutrient related weakness.

Can you get a picture?
And she has weird feel lol. She is a mix of aracauna copper maran and Turken. The turken had five toes and so do they. They are strong. They can grip, and kick when I pick them up, and run and jump if another chicken tries to get too close, (they have always been jumpy lol) but the. Goes back to favoring that foot. His mom had scaly leg mites when I rescued her ( a couple months before they were hatched) is it possible that they just haven’t been bad enough to lift the scales yet, both enough to make the chicken peck at their own foot and cause this?

Back
Top Bottom