Limping Chicken

Airehead012

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 26, 2008
DFW, TX
My Soon-to-be-not-a-pullet-anymore is limping on her left foot/leg. I have looked at it several times, and there does not appear to be abnormalties in the shape, swelling, or open areas. She is reluctant to put any weight on it, and picks it up very high, but still walks on it. The limp has become worse over the past few days, and I'm not sure if it is broken, or how to deal with it if it is. Any suggestions/advice? I will post a picture if anyone thinks it will help, but it looks completely normal. Thanks!

You didn't mention the bottom of the foot so I'm not sure if you know about bumblefoot. Be sure you look closely for a black spot on the bottom of the foot. If she has it, you need to treat it; a quick search here will give you plenty of info.

Otherwise, maybe it is just a strain or sprain, perhaps from jumping off a roost and landing wrong. If so, it should resolve in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
And with young hens, it could be a trauma, anything from a simple bump to a crash against a wall. Also, their calcium needs shyrocket before they become layers, so make sure she is on the right feed and also has some ground oyster shell to peck at to supply the complex of pelvic and leg bones that provide calcium for egg-laying.
cool.png

If a trauma or low calcium, you can expect improvement over a 2-week period.

Oh and if you feel she needs it, you can offer water with a low-dose( 81mg) aspirin crushed and dissolved in a quart or so.

Last edited:
Ah, I agree, calcium is a valid consideration at that age. A Tums dissolved in the waterer will boost this, along with the oyster shell.

There is absolutely nothing on the hurt leg/foot that differs from the healthy one, so I think you're probably correct about a sprain. She does a lot of jumping, expecially when I go to put her in at night (she freaks out if anyone tries to catch her, but is almost paralyzed as soon as she realizes who it is!
D.gif
). She has ground oyster shells, and I've caught her eating them. She has not been picking it up as much today, so I think it may be healing. Thanks for the suggestions.

She's all better now...I figured out that one of her claws broke off, and she just couldn't keep her balance or something. No more limping, but this chicken is HEFTY!!!! I mean, she over-flows out of my arms when I hold her! Anyone else have such a fat, fat bird?

Back
Top Bottom