Limping Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by staceyl, Dec 6, 2009.

1. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    I just rounded up my chickens to put them back in the pen after free ranging and one of them has a definite limp. I picked her up and looked and I don't see anything obvsiouly wrong with the foot or leg. Should I just give it a day and see how she is doing? Any ideas what to look for?

Thanks.
    Stacey

2. 5 spoiled hens

5 spoiled hens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    Oregon
    Originaly posted 11-08-09

My best layer a Golden sex-link started limping last Wednesday. We did the same, looked for a sliver or cut in her little foot, but nothing. She also held it up while standing still. She acted normal other than the limp. By the week-end it was much better, so I assumed a strain?? I am not noticing a limp when she is walking a normal pace, but this morning as she came down from the coop from laying her egg I was throwing some scratch out and she came running really fast to get her share and I noticed her favoring the same foot as she ran. I am now wondering if she is catching it on the ladder to the coop as she is coming down or something. I am going to look closer at her nails to see if I can find a clue like maybe a cracked or chipped nail? I hope you find out why yours is limping too. [​IMG]

I didn't find anything different when I looked closer at her in November. It has now been about about two months and I still notice a limp when she runs fast. She seems fine other than the limp.

3. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Thanks 5 spoiled hens! I was just concerned that its something that would become infected and get worse. But she is putting weight on it, just limping, so I will try not to stress out about it. She still runs fast enough that its challenging to catch her so I can look at it.
    I'm thinking maybe a bruise? But a strain makes sense too.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    does she have bumble foot? It would cause her to limp.

5. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    A what? Bumble foot? Can you explain?

6. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Ah, I see it now with a search. Gosh, I hope not. I didnt' see anything when I looked at her foot, but will keep an eye for something like that, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by