Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmreport, Mar 10, 2012.

1. farmreport

farmreport New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    I have a hen who is nearly a year old. She has been favoring one leg for several weeks now, holding it up when she stands. She'll put weight on it to walk, but only very quickly. Up until now, there's been no visible sign of injury or disease. The leg she's favoring looks like it *might* have a small bit of swelling at the joint, but otherwise looks completely normal.

Just yesterday we noticed the tops of both ankles were slightly bloody—not actively bleeding, but looked like they might have been earlier in the day. It didn't look like a sore or lesion, but more like she had been pecking at them out of discomfort. Very light red and on the surface.

We live on an old farm and she and our four other chickens free range. The only time they are cooped is at night. Her appetite is fine and her droppings look normal. Feathers, comb, and all other parts of her look normal as well. As far as I can tell, she's still laying.

Last night, after we noticed the redness, we isolated her in a small coop to get her off her feet (chicken bed rest). We've added Duramycin from TSC to her water in case there is some sort of infection going on and are putting Vaseline on her feet to speed the healing. Since we cooped her she's been quiet and resting, but also moving around some—clearly not in distress.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on? The only thing I've found so far that matches her symptoms in any way is Infectious Tenosynovitis, but she doesn't seem to match the severity of those symptoms. She manages to keep up with our other chickens most of the day. We don't have a vet in the area who sees chickens, so we're kind of on our own.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated—we're wrapping up our second year as chicken people, so we're new to this!

Thanks.

2. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    It could be injury, Do you have rats or alot of mice in chicken house. They will bite your chickens. Does she have real flakey scales she coudl have mites in scales in feet that caused infection I would put triple antibiotic ointment all over feet then I would give her 1 cc penicillin in breast as shot and 1/2 cc of tylan 50 by mouth (there is controversy on tylan dosages but that is one i use) and give tylan everyday for at least 5 days and see if she is better. If tendonititis from infection the antibiotics will help. If it is injury she won't have infection. It is hard when you are guessing and not seeing the chicken.
    Good luck!

3. farmreport

farmreport New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    Up until last night there was no visible sign of bites, mites, injury, or otherwise—perfectly healthy looking feet, but she was limping for several weeks. I'm doubting injury or mites for that reason. My guess is it's something internal, but she started pecking at it yesterday because it was bugging her.

This is such a mystery to me!

4. farmreport

farmreport New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    If things persist, where would I get penicillin, tylan, or an antibiotic ointment? Would TSC carry those?

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Check your local feedstore for the antibiotics, or you can order them online (that's how I do it). The antibiotic ointment would be Neosporin (or the generic equivalent) - you can get that just about anywhere (grocery store or drugstore). Be sure there is no "caine" in it. That kind of pain killer will kill the bird. It sounds like her joints are hurting...you could try some dissolved aspirin in her water to see if it can be relieved.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Do a search on here for bumble foot, see if the bottom of her feet on inside her toes etc have a scab anywhere.....​

7. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    That is good idea bumble foot too. I have had a chicken limping from inflamed joint and was infection. The shots and antibiotics helped. to have antibiotic immediately try feed store or order it from KV vet supply, or Valley Vet Supply online too. You can get syringe and medicine.
    Antibiotic ointment is just something you get at walmart or kmart on shelf by bandades. Triple antibiotic ointment is generic brand.

8. farmreport

farmreport New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    It's definitely not bumble foot, as there are no sores on the bottoms of her feet or between the toes. The sores on the tops of her feet look like they're healing up.

I guess I'll keep her on chicken bed rest for about a week, continue with the tetracycline, and cross my fingers that whatever is going on clears up.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

9. Barredrock64

Barredrock64 New Egg

Aug 13, 2012
    our barred rock has been limping for a few days and I checked her over and nothing is broken but it seems that she might have a dislocated hip because it seems her leg is shorter than the other one and we don't know what to do.( but she is eating and drinking fine) should we isolate her? no other injuries noted to foot.[​IMG] i'm thirteen and I will ask my grandpa for any help in getting her well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by