Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fabfarm, Oct 21, 2013.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    Hi I'm new to byc and my 4month old polish silkie is limping can anyone help me!!:(

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My first guess would be a vitamin deficiency. Silkies, in particular, seem to be vulnerable to vitamin deficiencies. I'd get her started on some vitamins. You can either get special poultry vitamins, or use Poly Vi Sol infant vitamins

Another possiblity would be Marek's Disease, as it often first appears as limping. Marek's eventually causes paralysis of the wings and legs.Do you know if she was vaccinated as a chick?

Check the bottoms of her feet, too. Are there any scabs, or are they swollen? This could indicate bumblefoot. Does she act like she's in pain? Any reddness or swelling of the leg?

It might be that it is just a sprain or strain. I'd isolate her from any other birds and keep her in a cage/pen with some deep bedding and no roost. See if just some rest helps her heal.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm sorry to hear about your limping chicken.

I would check your bird's legs for swelling, injury, broken bones, and overly raised scales (that would be a sign of scaly leg mite). Also, check the bottom of the foot for signs of bumblefoot (an infection in the foot pad of poultry caused by bacteria)--some signs include swelling, a black scab, and pus. Treatment can include soaking in an Epsom salt solution, surgical removal of the pus core, or the injection of antibiotics (like Penicillin) into the foot. Lastly, I'd check to see if your hen can move her feet properly (isn't paralyzed or anything). Push your finger into the bottom of the foot; she should curl her toes or resist.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    She has been vaccinated and no swelling or cuts.
    :/ I am wondering if she sprained it anyone know any symptoms of a sprain or something along those lines???

6. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    I read online and it said that you could put her in a dog crate but I think that would stress[​IMG] her out is there a way to calm her or a certain thing you can do for a sprain or things like that? I am worried about her she is a smaller bird always been like that the others seem to try and comfort her but she is one of my favorites and I am hoping it isn't anything too serious[​IMG] has anyone had a similar experience? it is her left leg if that would be any help.no swelling or cuts or any sign of a disease it popped up about a week ago.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You could try posting on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

8. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    i gave her her favorite treat and let her lie down in the nesting box and when I got home she was laying by the door and I brought her out and when I was bringing her out I noticed the coop had mites so we are going to try treating that. I gave her some vitamins and left her alone overall the limp seems to be improving slowly. I am hoping it's getting better. she was eating when I last checked on her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by