1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by afsinyard, Aug 8, 2014.

1. afsinyard

afsinyard New Egg

Jun 3, 2014
    I have a four month old Road Island red that is limping on her right foot. Upon inspection her foot is soft with no marks whatsoever. She has been keeping to herself a lot and holds her foot up when standing still. She looks well nourished and isn't being bullied by the other chickens. She has free range of my backyard and is only in the coop at night. I gave her 1/2 a baby aspirin tonight thinking it is a musculoskeletal injury. Any ideas on what could be wrong? She is young and has not started laying yet. I've wondered about her being egg bound but I am a new chicken owner and have never experienced this before.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. It's hard to know why. If she is doing okay and eating and drinking, the limping may heal itself. Some of mine had limped at times but came out of it. One limps all the time but she is 7 years old and a big Jersey, so I'm thinking age related. Doesn't seem to slow her down.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like an injury or sprain, especially since she is holding the leg up. I would closely inspect the entire leg and foot for any swelling or bruising that might mean it is broken. The best treatment is to leave her with the flock in a small cage with food and water. Put a B Complex tablet crushed on food or in her water daily, and keep her in there for a week, then re-evaluate her walking. My hen limped for a month because I didn't put her up. If your roosts are high, you might want to lower them, and make sure your coop floor is padded with pine shavings or bedding.

4. afsinyard

afsinyard New Egg

Jun 3, 2014
    Thank you. I'll try all of those things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by