Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krissie02, Aug 16, 2014.

1. krissie02

krissie02 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Ok so my little girl has been limping so I looked at several threads and thought maybe slipped tendon. There's nothin that suggests anything major, so I thought strain, slipped tendon, etc. So I massaged it, and put a wrap on it to have her rest it. That was yesterday. This afternoon I went to check on her and the foot has completely swelled up! I took of the wrap immediately and I just hope I didn't damage it any further. What could have happened? What should I do? Not sure if the pic will show it well enough but here goes...[​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Watch to see it it goes down. Maybe it was a bit tight. I don't see any bumblefoot there.

1 person likes this.
  3. krissie02

Jul 20, 2014
    Ok so the foot sweeping did go down a little but the ankle swelling is still really bad

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is the chicken? Has there ever been any respiratory disease in the flock, particularly MS or MG? Hopefully, this is just an injury and leaving off the vet wrap with help her circulation get back to normal. Can you rest her in a cage for a few days with food and water? Swelling of one or both feet or ankles can be a symptom of gout or MS (mycoplasma synoviae.)

5. krissie02

Jul 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. krissie02

Jul 20, 2014
    This chicken is around 2-3 months old. She was just limping at first so in hoping that it was because the wrap was too tight. I haven't noticed any respiratory infections, one of my other chickens has a bad case of the mites, although I can't find any on the other 22... How do they get gout or MS? What are the symptoms? Thanks for your help!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Gout can be caused by excess protein in the diet (20 % is normal for chicks,) excess sodium or salt, too much calcium (layer feed has 4% where chick feed has 1%,) vitamin A deficiency, and certain strains of infectious bronchitis. MS is a respiratory disease that mainly affects the joints. The symptoms are lameness, swelling of feet and joints--the link in post # 6 lists most symptoms. They can get it from a bird that is a carrier of MS. I would relax until you can see if the swelling is going down in the leg, and look for any signs of a break (bruising, displacement of the bone.) Treatment of MS is Tylan. Here is a link for gout:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by