Limping chicken's ankle is turning slightly green.. bruising or something more serious?

maribameche

Chirping
Mar 15, 2017
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
So last night I noticed my 10 week old Rhode Island Red limping pretty badly. I looked at it and couldn't see anything stick out or any wounds so I just kept an eye on her. Today I looked and it's turning bluish green and a little swollen and squishy compared to her other foot. I'm thinking she possibly sprained her ankle but I want other people's opinions because this is the first time I've had chickens and I'm definitely not an expert. Any advice on what to do would also be greatly appreciated. I want to give her baby aspirin for pain but I don't want her to think it's healed and start hopping around like normal and hurt it worse in the long run.

The first two pictures are of her hurt ankle and the last one is of her good ankle.
IMG_0673.JPG

Bruising in chickens is usually green. Hopefully it's just a sprain.

I understand she is young, but if you can restrict her activity for a few days, this will help her heal. Place a wire dog kennel in the run so she can be with the flock, offer her some poultry vitamins that have Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) in her water. What I have done in the past - is kennel them for most of the day, then let them out for about a 1/2hr before roosting. It really depends on how rowdy the chick is:)

Aspirin can be used for pain, but you are correct, it may make it feel better to the point where she injures it more which would be delay healing.

She's been laying down and resting most of the day. When the flock moves to the other side of the yard, she'll fly/hop to the other side with her good foot. I'm just gonna wait it out and see how she's feeling in a few days. Thank you so much :)

Back
Top Bottom