Limping Chickens

Gail Laubenthal

Songster
Jun 20, 2017
All of a sudden, I am noticing that several of my young and old chickens are limping and walking low to the ground. What could it be? Thanks in advance for all of your expertise.

No, but I know there are no cuts. What could cause a limp? If I do look at their feet, what am I looking for?
How can you know there are no cuts if you haven't looked at the feet? :confused:
You are looking for abnormalities such as scabs, broken toes, cuts, lifted scales, swelling in joints, etc.

I will go down and take a few pictures and do a video later today. I have had these young ones since they were day olds. They have been with the older chickens for only two weeks, but have been around them in the large free range area for over a month. No change in feed. They have been on Purina Start and Grow Medicated since birth. Now that they are in with the older chickens, they are getting some of their Purina Layena crumble, too. I don't think any of the feed was moldy. I keep it in barrels that are protected from moisture. I clean the waterers every few weeks, but rinse the troughs everyday.
I took a video of both.

How can you know there are no cuts if you haven't looked at the feet? :confused:
You are looking for abnormalities such as scabs, broken toes, cuts, lifted scales, swelling in joints, etc.
Good question. I went down to the coop and looked at the two chickens that are limping and saw no visible signs of anything unusual. In the past three weeks, I have had one older hen and 3 - 3 month old pullets die and none of them had any visible signs of trauma. This has never happened in the 7 years I've been raising chickens.

All of a sudden, I am noticing that several of my young and old chickens are limping and walking low to the ground. What could it be? Thanks in advance for all of your expertise.
Is there any way you can get some photos of their poop and of them (whole body, how they stand and of legs/feet)?
A video of how they move may also be helpful if that's an option for you. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

I'm sorry that you lost a couple in the last few weeks. Any changes in feed, environment, etc.? Could feed have gotten moldy?
What do you feed?

How long have you had the pullets and how long have they been with the older flock members? Losing 3 very young, I would consider Coccidiosis.
Walking low to the ground...I might be inclined to give B-Complex.

Interesting dilemma.

Is there any way you can get some photos of their poop and of them (whole body, how they stand and of legs/feet)?
A video of how they move may also be helpful if that's an option for you. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

I'm sorry that you lost a couple in the last few weeks. Any changes in feed, environment, etc.? Could feed have gotten moldy?
What do you feed?

How long have you had the pullets and how long have they been with the older flock members? Losing 3 very young, I would consider Coccidiosis.
Walking low to the ground...I might be inclined to give B-Complex.

Interesting dilemma.
I will go down and take a few pictures and do a video later today. I have had these young ones since they were day olds. They have been with the older chickens for only two weeks, but have been around them in the large free range area for over a month. No change in feed. They have been on Purina Start and Grow Medicated since birth. Now that they are in with the older chickens, they are getting some of their Purina Layena crumble, too. I don't think any of the feed was moldy. I keep it in barrels that are protected from moisture. I clean the waterers every few weeks, but rinse the troughs everyday.

Back
Top Bottom