Limping cockerel

dolphintat

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
I have a Buff Sussex cockerel who got into a scrapping match with his neighbour a Light Sussex cockerel. I cleaned them both up and put them back in their separate runs. I was always told that if each cockerel had enough hens they would not fight. Ha, that did not happen. The Buff has 8 hens and the Light has 5. They have their own runs so that there is no cross breeding. Well one got out. This was 3 days ago. All seemed well but the Buff cockerel is limping today. I have brought him in and checked his feet they both look the same. See pictures please. Any advice on what it could be? As an aside one oh his ladies is also limping and not laying. I have also checked her out, but that is about 5 days ago. She is still limping now, but seems otherwise okay. Any help will be appreciated.

9DADD960-3685-4CC8-AD8B-3A9B6D1D5E9C.jpeg
A6579484-2B64-468E-9725-724AA350F370.jpeg
1F8CD0B5-F715-40D3-9221-7AA8EE268779.jpeg
6C3DFC45-0E78-465B-9D49-0B19D149D7A3.jpeg

A daily dose of 1/2 of a baby aspirin hidden in a spoonful of wet cat food (the fish kind) can make a limp mysteriously go away after a few days. I would recommend confining the chicken (I like to use a small dog crate) while they recover so that they don't run around on the injured leg while the aspirin masks the pain.

A daily dose of 1/2 of a baby aspirin hidden in a spoonful of wet cat food (the fish kind) can make a limp mysteriously go away after a few days. I would recommend confining the chicken (I like to use a small dog crate) while they recover so that they don't run around on the injured leg while the aspirin masks the pain.
Thanks I will give that a try hopefully it will work.

Back
Top Bottom