Limping Duck at Park near Dallas, Texas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mamselleblinky, Jul 27, 2013.

1. mamselleblinky

mamselleblinky Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    I live near a creek that widens into a small lake. There are ducks everywhere...muscovies, mallards, and white ones (peking?). I love animals but know little about ducks. Unfortunately, there is a peking duck who seems to have lost the use of one leg. She follows around the other two peking male ducks. It has been at least two months (Other people told me this) and she is still eating and limping around with her two friends. She is unable to put any weight on that leg. What do I do? It's been so long now, I worry that the damage is permanent. She seems to be coping well, I just worry because it's sad to see her feel so compelled to follow the other two around and it's so difficult for her.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia You Need Ducks!

Do you have any rescues close by? they may come a pick her up especially since she is domestic. they will get to back to health and find her a good home. Look in the phone book or call local vets they may know of someone who does rehabbing. About the only other thing you could do would be to bring her home and take care of her the rest of her life because being handicapped and living out like she does with no protection form predators she'll end up dead eventually.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. mamselleblinky

mamselleblinky Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    Unfortunately we are not allowed to have any type of birds are geese in the city where I live. I have called many many rescue organizations and no one seems to be able to help far as ducks go. there is only one organization and I would have to take the duck to them. I worry about this since I'm not experience with ducks, and I know she'll try to run away from me. I don't want to injure her further or stress her out. I'm just worried that the process of catching her and putting her in a box and take driving her an hour away is going to injure her further as well as stressed her out.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia You Need Ducks!

Only for a short time will she be stressed, but think of the help she'll get when you get her to the rescue center. if you have someone to help you and if she isn't able to walk well she surely can't run very well. just take a large box with clean old towels in it and start feeding them, [bread helps in a situation like this] all ducks love bread and it's not a good diet but will get them close. try to get them as far from the water as you can, most likely if you have 3-4 people you could probably get her pretty easy, use a towel to toss over top of her too then you can pick her up in it if you worry she may scratch you [accidently] a large fishing net with long handle works too but I'm thinking this rescue should go pretty good without the added stress of a net. have some fresh water to offer once you get her settled in to her transport dog kennel of box. Do this rescue at a time when there aren't many people there so you don't have added attention or people hindering the rescue. and you may want to check to see if you need to get permission from who ever runs the park, but I'd think they would be willing to get this duck help. I hope you'll try. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: