1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AlmaB, Aug 3, 2013.

1. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Hi, my three month old buff duck started limping a week ago and I have no idea what is wrong with her, she was fine before that. I feed my ducks (4) waterfowl maintenance diet and the other 3 ducks are doing great. I picked her up to see if perhaps she had something wrong with her feet and didn't see anything abnormal. :/
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    [​IMG] Buffy

[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could she have sprained her leg jumping from the pool? or something else? or even running she could have injured her leg, I'd keep her up for a few days with a buddy for company, give it time to heal with water therapy which is good for getting weight off the leg and also helps to build strength. you could even soak her leg[legs] in a bucket of warm Epsom salt water a couple times a day, you just don't want her drinking the ES water since it works as a laxative.

4. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Miss Lydia, thank you. I will place her in the injured pen with one of the other girls. Buffy is so sweet and I want her to get well soon![​IMG]
    Here she is giving love back to my daughter

5. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    [​IMG]
    Oops, that was a picture of thumper relaxing ! Lol

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What sweet pics.. Hope you see Buffy healed and running with the flock real soon. If you don't see Buffy getting better in the next couple of days, you might want to add some brewers yeast to her feed, I know you said you feed water fowl maintenance and it usually has enough niacin in it but she may just need a lil more to get her through this. Or a good poultry vitamin added to water. Let us know how she is doing.

7. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Thank you. Apparently been confined to a small space prove to be very stressful to our poor Buffy, I will take her to the vet tomorrow to see if he can help her. :-/

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aww, I hope she isn't worse because of it. please let us know what you find out...

9. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Thank you Miss Lidia, I will keep you posted.
    Xo,
    Alma B

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by