Limping duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allyyy, Oct 9, 2013.

1. allyyy

allyyy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    I have a 1 1/2 year old female runner duck. I've had her since she was a baby. She's limping, I can pick her up and touch it she doesn't seem to mind. It just started this morning. This has happened to me before and I ended up putting one down after a few days. I was afraid he was in pain and the vet said he was then I talked to other vets and people and they said I probably jumped the gun on putting him down and he would've gotten better. Any advice? I don't want to put her down if she'll get better.

2. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Sorry to hear about your duck! :hugs
    How many drakes do you have? It could be that they are overmating her and causing her to limp. Also be sure to check the bottom of both her feet for any sores or see if it feels warm. I hope she gets well soon! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kimmyjay

kimmyjay Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Michigan
    I agree with goats rule 101.
    Check her patty wackers for swelling, cuts, or black spots.
    I have a Pekin that I believe is limping because of being both boys favorite girl.
    My girl also lets me manipulate her feet,legs, and hips.
    She gets warm soaks by herself and her waddle is slowly getting better.
    It has been a slow recovery.
    Let us know how she is doing.
    Wishing you the best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. allyyy

allyyy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    I have 2 drakes and the runner is the only female I have another female but she's raising babies. I didn't see any cuts on her ill double check. But should I desperate her from the drakes?

5. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    I would sperate her because that just might be the problem if you don't see any cuts. You want to have 2 females per drake so that doesn't happen and since your other female is with the ducklings I would sperate her and see if she gets better. Since your other duck before was limping too it may not be that the drakes are the problem but you should try seperating her anyway. Hopefully she'll improve!!! :love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by