limping duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bpotze, Mar 3, 2015.

1. bpotze

bpotze Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    I have a female duck that is almost a year old....she is one of 6...I noticed she was limping yesterday and brought her in to the basement to make sure she is warm and dry while I try to figure out what is wrong....it seems that one of her ankles is a little swollen...but no heat other than what I feel in the other foot....there are no scabs or sores on her foot....any ideas would be great...I don't have any vet around that takes care of ducks....

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have sprained her ankle.

Try this

If it is a sprain, make an Epsom salt compress. 2 tablespoons Epsom salt, half a cup of warm water. Soak a clean cloth in that. Gently hold the duck and wrap the cloth around the leg and foot. Wait patiently together for ten minutes if you can both go that long.

Do this twice a day.

Epsom salt is a laxative, do not let the duck drink or eat it.

Some members put the Epsom salt water into a flat-bottomed dish and stand the duck in it, holding the duck gently. Remember, no drinking the water.

I like to use comfrey and St. John's wort on the outside of the leg and foot for sprains. I have a cream called Traumeel (now available reformulated as T-Relief) that has those things in it, and I put a tiny dab on the leg at night (they don't swim at night).

3. bpotze

Aug 17, 2014
    I will try this...thank you....and I will be sure not to let her drink any of the water...

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please keep us updated! There is a slight possibility it could be something like arthritis, but in any case the Epsom salt should really help.

When we have had sprains in the flock, it has taken at least 5 days to clear up so please be patient. If any signs of infection show up, though, don't delay treating.

5. bpotze

Aug 17, 2014
    I am going to try soaking again...I took her out today to see her buddies...she was very happy...I let her out all day but by this evening she is swollen again....so she is back inside....she is still eating, drinking and laying eggs....I just hate to see her struggling to keep up with the others....I have read that you can give ducks ibuprofen....so I am thinking about trying that also along with soak....I'll try to get some metacam the beginning of the week..what kind of antibiotics are used on ducks.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by