Limping Duckling

jennyman

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Hello Again,

Very much a new duck owner. One of my ducks started limping yesterday. There are no marks on her feet, nothing to indicate an injury. She is eating and drinking water and enjoying swims but is having trouble moving around. Her diet includes Mazuri feed cut down with oats. I have given her some Save-A-Chick. I'm not sure what to do for her

You don’t have to cut her feed. Mazuri is made to have just what they need in nutrients. @Magnolia Ducks. As for the limp they can easily get a sprain so rest and water therapy are both good for this and poultry vitamins . What age and breed of ducks please. Make sure they have an easy way to get in an out of the pool too.

Oh! I thought you have to cut down the starter feed after so many weeks for the protein level. We have five ducklings (Rouen, Blue Swedish, Black Swedish and Buff-this is the one with the limp). They are 4.5 weeks old. Should I separate her and put her in a smaller area? Or just let her rest and continue with baths?

It’s hard to separate them since they are so closely bonded. I’d not let her be running all over a large area though. Water therapy is so good for them because it takes the weight off their legs and strengthens the leg muscles. You could even have one with a niacin deficiency. Even when on a good quality water fowl feed we can have one show a deficiency. I still use Nutritional yeast in my adults feed since it’s so good for them. Here is some info on Niacin deficiency. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

She is still limping though not as bad and is more willing to put pressure on it. We are heading to the vet tomorrow. Thank you for all the help. I am a nervous new duck owner!

Back
Top Bottom