Limping Duckling

lisallama

Hatching
Jun 23, 2021
Hi,
We hatched 6 Indian runner and Indian Runner cross Welsh Harlequin ducks this year. They are about 3 months old and all hang around together, as a group, in their pond area with their parents (about 2 years old), who were also hatched and raised by us.

One of the ducklings developed a limp 5 days ago. She is able to walk on it, albeit not comfortably, as weight bearing seems to be an issue. She is able to swim, wet and drink as usual. There are no visible signs of injury and there is no swelling. The older ducks do occasionally harass their little ones, so I am guessing this may be a sprain?

It has been 5 days and there isn't much change in her, how long should I leave her before taking her to a vet? She seems happy enough, but I'm unsure what a vet would do that I can't do at home...rest, keep her quiet etc.

Thank you

Lisa

If it's an option, I'd take her to the vet ASAP at this point - early treatment may help achieve a good outcome.

A vet may potentially perform diagnostic tests (like x-rays) or lab tests, as they have the equipment in their office. They can also prescribe pain relievers that are not available over the counter.

Best of luck with your duckling's recovery!

Back
Top Bottom