1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limping duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ekop31100, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ekop31100

ekop31100 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Hi all, my ducklings Prim has been limping for the last couple days. She can still walk, and it isn't limiting her food or water, but it worries me:barnie. Could anyone tell me what might be wrong, and or what I should do?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Have you picked her up and checked out the bottom of her foot? there is an infection called bumble foot that poultry can get and it will show up as swelling, redness and limping, also feel her leg does it feel warmer than the other one/ can you feel any swelling as you move up and down her leg? How old is your duckling? could it have gotten step on accidently by another duckling or duck? Could you post a pic of this duckling and what you find after examining. also it could be a niacin deficiency which happens in duckling especially if they are eating chick feed which many of us can only get for our water fowl babies so this could be the problem also. what are you feeding?

3. ekop31100

Feb 8, 2014
    I will examine her tomorrow and send a pic. She is currently 4 weeks old. She could have tripped over something or gotten it stepped on by her sister, yes. I am feeding her chick starter, but I am putting brewers yeast in it, and am putting niacin in their water, so I don' t think that's the case.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good to hear you already have them on niacin and brewers yeast, good for you. So most likely an injury, do they get swim time in warm water tub? unless of course your in a warm weather climate. Water therapy can help to build muscles and help an injury by taking weight off the injured leg. So you might want to try some water therapy, but for sure examine the leg and foot real well.

1 person likes this.
  5. ekop31100

Feb 8, 2014
    They do get lots of excersize and water time. I take her out every Day and play with her in the grass, and then lether swim in a kiddie pool. After examining her foot I can see a little yellow spot, it kind of looks like a cut, is that possibly[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bumblefoot?

She doesn't look like anything is swollen either...

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    May not be bumble just could have cut her foot and it's sore to walk on, I'd keep her on as clean a surface as you can, I know not always easy with messy ducks. But if you could post a pic of the area that way we can dif rule it out. in the mean time take a small bucket and fill about half full of warm water then put about 3/4 to1 cup of Epsom salt water in and mix it real good. It's easier for me to put both feet and legs into the bucket thanb trying to just put one in. but let her stand in this for about 10 mins at least. while you are holding her so she doesn't jump out. FYI Epsom salt also works as a laxative so you don't want her drinking this water that's why I like to use a bucket and hold on to them no chance of them getting to the water to drink it. Might be best to do this in the evening so after you finish dry her feet and rub some triple antibiotic salve or neosporin salve over the cut. and keep her from getting her feet wet till morning at least, this will give the salve and ES a chance to work. Hopefully if you can do this about 3 days she'll be back to normal, Bumble usually starts off as a cut or splinter that bacteria gets into and causes staff infection so getting this treated quickly will keep it from getting to that point, still if you can post a pic of area where cut is that would be good too. you can go up to the search and type in Bumble foot to get info on it. Most of us take the approach that cutting should be last resort and most of the time other means can clear it up.

7. ekop31100

Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks for all the help! I didn't want to do the Epsom salt thing until you could identify what was going on with her foot. I checked on her today and I noticed she is getting worse D: I tried to take a couple pictures of her feet... But you know how cooperative ducks are...[​IMG][/IMG]
    And her leg does look swollen

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does that look like swelling on the toe closest to her bill down towards the bottom not next to nail. other than that it looks normal and that may be just the way the foot is laying on your arm. did you check her leg all over too? What meg of niacin are you using and how much BY?

9. ekop31100

Feb 8, 2014
    I am putting a teaspoon of brewers yeast per this much food [​IMG]
    And just a sprinkle of niacin in their water[​IMG]
    The swolleness tk me looks like it's more on the leg itself not the foot

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not enough niacin crush up a 200-250 mgs tablet into their water and at least 2 tab of brewers yeast sprinkled on their feed. neither will hurt them but your not giving enough for it to help either. If it's a B3-niaicn dif. you'll be able to tell in 3-5 days.

where on the leg are you seeing swelling and do you feel that leg is warmer than the other one, like heat in a specific place on the leg? redness?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by