Limping for 3 months, I can't figure it out!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Snack Giver, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Songster

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Hi folks. My shy little 2 year old free range Rhode Island Red has been in pain and limping for at least 3 months, maybe more. It started suddenly one morning last summer. She doesn't put wait on her right foot except maybe when walking, then she limps badly. I have inspected her feet and legs several times since this began, hoping i would see something. There is no swelling, no bumble foot (I KNOW what that looks like already). There is no difference when examining both feet and legs that I can see or feel. No redness. Nothing I have seen!

I originally hoped it was just a sprain and would get better by itself (my others have had this). But this poor birdy has had no change in more than 3 months.. She now moves around less and less and is obviously in pain if she puts her right foot down. She is standing on 1 foot only at all times.

I'm at a loss and feel so guilty. She already is the bottom of the pecking order, they don't let her eat until last. I need to help her with this foot/leg. She is healthy otherwise and eats, sleeps, keeps up with my other birds. But she cannot stand on her right foot except for a second while hobbling around.. Is there something else I can look for.? Something up in the thigh? Again, no black spot and no swelling, not bumble foot. HELP Thanks folks. Mike

2. Bumping this post.

3. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Songster

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Hello. Update: as of 2 days ago my hen has started walking almost normally now. I don't understand why, but I am so glad. I just wanted to tell people that this condition can last 3-4 months and still cure itself. I don't know what it was. THANKS PEOPLE> Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by