limping goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jacks place, Dec 14, 2016.

1. jacks place

jacks place New Egg

Dec 14, 2016
    I have a lovely male goose, now 5 years old, owned since a gosling. He has a mate and 2 foster children. Bruce suddenly started limping and has gone off his food. Drinking a little. Very wet droppings. I have been to the vet and he has been given worming, anti inflamatory and antibiotics. What is the best way to give him the antibiotic tablets as he is refusing to eat ...even his favourite soft bread. I thought of powdering them into something new like watermelon ?

2. jacks place

jacks place New Egg

Dec 14, 2016
    I should add that the sick gander is a Pomeranian with the most beautiful nature and I certainly do not want to lose him

3. janelikesburds

janelikesburds Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    I would crush the tablet and mix with a bit of liquid and then use a syringe to put it straight in his throat. It would be good to also give him some niacin just in case.

EDIT: Sorry my bad not to clarify: down the throat into the crop not windpipe!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @jacks place you never want to just shoot liquid down any poultry throat it can go into their air sacs.

Here is link on emergency care for a sick birds with visuals on how to administer meds and the proper place for them to go. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rgency-and-supportive-care-updated-10-30-2016

Welcome to BYC and sure hope your Gander makes a full recovery did vet say what he thought was wrong? checked bottom of his feet for bumble?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  5. jacks place

jacks place New Egg

Dec 14, 2016
    Hi. Vet did not know what was wrong. Feet fine. Temp etc all fine. Alert and inquisitive. Just won't eat and wobbles. Have got him drinking by putting him in play pool. Still not eating.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    There is info on tube feeding you don't want them going too long with out eating. Vet can help with things you'd need and show you how. Or go to the link I gave you pretty sure tube feeding is on there.

Did he check blood could he have eaten something toxic or gotten into metal?

7. jacks place

jacks place New Egg

Dec 14, 2016
    No. Vet did not check blood. Don't think he would have eaten anything toxic as he is in the same yard area as the others and they all roam and eat together. If anything he is the more cautious and quiet one. The vet suggested putting the antibiotic (crushed) into peanut butter. It seemed to work as we got it into him ...messy job.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Plus it sticks to the inside of the mouth lol.

I hope the antibiotic brings him around. I'd get some birds probiotics because antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria and he'll need some help getting his tummy feeling better after he is through with them.

Let us know how he is doing.

9. jacks place

jacks place New Egg

Dec 14, 2016
    Hi

Would love to get probiotics ..but we are in rural nsw with vets used to dealing with dogs cats horses cattle etc...not birds. Could I try yogurt ?

Like you we have quite a menagerie ... 4 geese, 10 English game hen bantams ( including one baby), 3 dogs and 9 alpacas.

Cheers

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You are right up there aren't you only difference is I only have dogs in the 4 legged variety. I have 5 lil tiny Old English game bantams They are 9 weeks old today. I had 6 but we think a hawk got one a few weeks ago. Mama is still with them too.

You can probably order on line that is where I buy my things for the flock other than feed. Not sure your goose will eat yogurt mine won't but you can try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by