Limping Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AndyHarrold, May 2, 2017.

1. AndyHarrold

AndyHarrold New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    I've an adult Embden goose that's just started to limp. The vet gave me an injection of Loxicom(1 shot) , and a pack of Tylan soluble for 5 days use. They advised it could be Staphylococcus. I know vets aren't too sure on poultry and probably err on the side of caution. There is a hard lump on the foot pad, the same pad on the other foot is soft. Any advice on what I should do? I'm in the UK so getting hold of Antibiotics, or Antibiotic cream is extremely difficult.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Doesn't really look like bumble [staff] but maybe usually bumble shows up as a hard scab Can you get these 2 items, One Epsom salt 2 clear or colorless iodine? if you can you want to soak the foot in warm ES water for as long as he'll let you try at least 10 mins and 2x a day if possible the more you can soak the softer the scab will get and easier to peel away. Once you soak then dry the area and using a q tip put the Clear iodine over the affected area then let it dry before putting him down to walk. Keep treating until you can gently with your finger nail peel the scab back once you get the scab off there will either be a pus plug which will be thick in poultry or just a hole if there is a plug use sterile tweezers to get it out then continue the ES soaks and treating with the c iodine till healed over. Can you see a scab on the foot? If there isn't then just do the soaking and using the clear iodine anyway just to help the swelling go down.
    Along with what the vet gave you.

@AndyHarrold

3. AndyHarrold

AndyHarrold New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    No can't see any scab, that's what's confusing. Will go to the Chemist tomorrow for Epson Salts & Clear iodine. Many Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by