Limping Guinea Hen. Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GuineaFowling, Jan 14, 2014.

1. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Hello,
    I have a guinea hen she is about 3 months (hatched sept. 26) and she has a bad limp. My sister was running across the yard and the guinea hen chased after her and got under her foot and was kicked. Now she has a bad limp in her right leg and it is warmer than the left. The whole leg is warmer not just the thigh area. She lifts it up and doesn't like walking on it. I did not feel any bumps or knots on her thigh. What could be wrong with her leg. The limp seems to be getting worse. What should I do.
    I am currently putting her leg in warm water with Epsom salt. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You for your time,

GuineaFowling

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since she probably has a bad sprain or a broken leg from the accident, I would confine her to a cage for a week or two. Put some poultry vitamins in her water, or at least a multiple B vitamin. The less she moves the leg the better. You might even splint the leg if you think it could be broken, but that would have to be confirmed by an Xray. The longer she runs around on it, it could be worse, and if it is broken, she may damage it. After 1 week, check her out, then put her back in for another week if the leg is the same.

3. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Thank you, her leg is doing much better. It wasn't broken so much as just sprained.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great to hear that she is doing better. Thanks for the update.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Good to hear it wasn't broken. I had a duck once that was in the claws of a hawk and she was dropped while in the air. I thought for sure her leg was broken since she would not move but thankfully she made a complete recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by