Limping Hen - damaged nail?

Chryssaliss

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
A few days ago I noticed me one Buff Brahma bantam hen was limping a little - took me a day to get hold of her but didn't notice anything obvious but it was pretty wet that day so her feet were covered in mud. Checked the pads for signs of bumble foot and swelling but seemed clear. She seemed a bit better the next day but on day 4 she just wanted to sit on a perch. I took her inside and gave her a half bath and cleared everything off her feathers and toes and found the problem. It looks to be damage to the nail with possible infection setting in? I have put some antibiotic ointment on it but worried it may be worse than that can treat - any help / treatment suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• ft1.JPG
    ft1.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
  • ft2.JPG
    ft2.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 20
  • ft3.JPG
    ft3.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ft4.JPG
    ft4.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 19
Looks pretty swollen, Is it hot to touch? I'd give it a good soak in some warm water with epson salt mixed in to draw out any infection everyday for at least 10 minutes, After soaking it dry put some ointment on it, I personally like to use drawing salve, Then cover it up so she doesn't get it dirty while outside..

It does look like it could be a bit infected.
I've had bird rip nails out, but no infections happened.
Maybe clean it well, put some antibiotic ointment on it and keep her crated on clean bedding for a few days.

Last edited:
I have done the soaking in Epsom salt actually, it did seem a little better and have put her inside for a day or two. I shall dig out the Blu-kote. Just wish I knew what caused it so I can eliminate the problem.

Its possible, we moved to a new house two months ago and my chickens get to spend the days in the back garden and get shut up at night. Its the same coop and small pens but I do see them perched on things a fair bit. As for other chickens doing it - I have 21 possible culprits.

Could be other chickens picking on her at night while roosting? If not then just take a look around for anything they could get caught in or cut themselves with..

Where are you located ( state or country?) I don’t know if it could be cold enough for frostbite where you live, or just trauma to the toe. I have seen chickens jump up on chainlink fencing, and have gotten a toe caught, partially tearing off a nail. The Epsom salts soaks once a day with the BluKote to hide the wound, or a dab of antibiotic ointment wound be good. Toe injuries can be painful for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom