Limping hen isn't healing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arrowti, Jul 7, 2016.

1. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Hello everyone. We have an older hen that has been limping seriously for 3 weeks now, and unfortunately, has not improved. It is a red sex link, and she can put little weight on her leg. Usually she hops on one leg, but occasionally she'll use it, probably when her good leg gets tired. She is eating and drinking fine, but has lost quite a few feathers.

I separated her when the rest of the flock decided it was time to beat her to death.

I was hoping by now there would be at least a little bit of improvement. There is no swelling or heat, and there is no bumblefoot. I believe she hurt her leg jumping down from a perch and landing wrong.

I am starting to believe she simply won't heal at all, since she is an older hen, and a hybrid at that (3 years old), who in our experience have been notoriously unhealthy and do not heal well at all from injuries.

She is in a small dog crate with constant access to food and water. I let her out once a week to see if there is any improvement in her leg, and there never is. Any ideas on what can be done to help speed up a recovery, if it's possible? Although we will be getting rid of our sex links later on (we've lost two within 3 days of each other from ascites!), I just wish she could spend her time until then uninjured and with the flock.

Any help will be appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It can be frustrating with a leg injury. I have a 4 year old who has been limping for at least two months. She has lost so much weight, also. I would try feeding her vitamins and minerals in her feed or by mouth. Give her some chopped egg and tuna for extra protein and selenium. I tried keeping my hen confined with no improvement, but she really misses being with her flock, so she is out with them for as long as she lives. I hope your hen gets better soon.

3. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Putting our hen back with the others is a no go, they just brutally attack her. I could bring over our buckeyes to be with her as they are non-aggressive and very easy going but they don't like being picked up. I will try the scrambled egg and additional vitamins to see if that helps. She hasn't lost any weight but she is still losing feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by