Limping Hen not bumblefoot!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aliciala05, May 10, 2011.

1. aliciala05

aliciala05 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    A few days ago i went out in my coop and my 1 yr old Rhode island red hen was laying down in the dirt and didnt come up to greet me like the other 3 and see what snacks i was bringing them. When i dumped the food out she stood up using her wings to balance and only stood on one foot. Her tale is tucked down and she hopped on one foot over to the food. Her injured leg she keeps tucked up super close to her body it looks swollen and feels a little warm. I know im an over protective mommy that wants to take the chickens to the vet if they do the slightest thing. My husband on the other hand doesnt want to take them unless they are for sure dying. So we are in limbo here. He took a look at her foot and said she could have sprained something hopping from perch to perch like they do all the time and it would heal in time. But over the past few days of monitoring her i have noticed that she doesnt eat as much as she usually does and her foot is getting more swollen. Should i bring her in the house and isolate her? Please help!

2. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    I would definantely bring her in. Anytime the injury or illness is keeping them from feed or water then it's time to give them special care. Ok like I don't want to ring them in the house for every thing. "Oh baby you look sad come in the house and let mommy take care of you" [​IMG] I'm also one to take them to the vet at the first sign of anything. Our local vet only does cats and dogs, but I make him look at my chickens, turkeys, and geese. We have a real vet for the horses according to my husband, and my parrots go the the vetrinary school at the university. My husband would kill me if I took the outside chickens to the UW. Sometimes just getting the chance to rest and heal in peace really does help. Hope your girlie is better soon. [​IMG]

3. aliciala05

aliciala05 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    i work at a vet clinic in bothell that only sees cats and dogs maybe ill talk one of the vets into taking a look at her other wise im sneaking her off to the exotic vet lol thanks tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by