Limping hen several days now not walking...

Frankiegirl

Crowing
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
Hi all -

I have an 8mo hen that has had a limp for a about a week and as of this afternoon is not walking. She also had a limp about a month ago but after several days it subsided.

I have her separated right now but next to the coop for observation. She does not appear to be able to stand or get up her own.
She ate breakfast this morning and I hand fed her some feed once I noticed she was down. She hasnt laid in 2 days which is uncharacteristic of her.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ADA57188-A6A4-46F8-A5DB-9D3EB3200A08.jpeg
    ADA57188-A6A4-46F8-A5DB-9D3EB3200A08.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 7C5E991E-9636-4CBD-931C-99B378A6C83F.jpeg
    7C5E991E-9636-4CBD-931C-99B378A6C83F.jpeg
    728.6 KB · Views: 7
Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease, and could she have been injured by a rooster or other hen? Was the limp a month ago in the same leg? Has she had any balance issues? Are both eyes the same bright color with round pupils? Has her back always appeared straight? Can you check her cor a stuck egg by briefly inserting a clean finger 1-2 inches into her vent?

Her eyes seem clear and alert. Unsure of the vaccination for Mareks. I purchased my chicks from a farm and home store locally and hatchery is near by. Yes her back has always appeared straight and yes to the limp originating from the same leg. It’s possible she had a run in w another hen although she seems pretty high in the pecking order.

I’ll check the vent now. I’ve never done that before so I will get back to you in this.

Thanks

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sorry you face this. :(

She is a lovely lady!

I would consider raising up that water nipple in the kennel.. it looks correct height for chicks but not a good size pullet.

Are you able to feel any heat or swelling in the legs or sense any cuts or other injury that might be causing her discomfort? How long have had her and where did she come from? What is your standard feed routine including treats and supplements? How many birds in your flock? Have you EVER seen this before in other birds.. faced crop issues, OR had to treat her for coccidiosis when younger?

Just looking for clues that might be helpful aside from the questions already asked which were good ones. No judgement here!

Now for my uglier information.. Consider euthanizing and sending her into YOUR state lab for necropsy and discern what you might be dealing with..

How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

And the link to the best Marek's info on one resource..
Marek's Virus FAQ

Hope she recovers and you get answers quickly! :fl

Sorry you face this. :(

She is a lovely lady!

I would consider raising up that water nipple in the kennel.. it looks correct height for chicks but not a good size pullet.

Are you able to feel any heat or swelling in the legs or sense any cuts or other injury that might be causing her discomfort? How long have had her and where did she come from? What is your standard feed routine including treats and supplements? How many birds in your flock? Have you EVER seen this before in other birds.. faced crop issues, OR had to treat her for coccidiosis when younger?

Just looking for clues that might be helpful aside from the questions already asked which were good ones. No judgement here!

Now for my uglier information.. Consider euthanizing and sending her into YOUR state lab for necropsy and discern what you might be dealing with..

How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

And the link to the best Marek's info on one resource..
Marek's Virus FAQ

Hope she recovers and you get answers quickly! :fl

Thx for the input....she is one of 5 hens all purchased from a local feed/farm store so not sure of mareks vaccination. No other birds have had this issue. They are fed Purina layena crumble and oyster shell. For about the last week or so I have been giving the ladies a scrambled egg in the morning with feed and a few oats. Not real treats to speak of other than an occasional cucumber. Water in main coop is set up higher for consumption. The photo listed is in her ER coop.

She always had one of her pupils that was shaped funny but that was since I got her as a day old. She’s 8 months now. I notice that she curls her left foot under when she is laying down. She also always appeared to have a vision problem when giving her a treat. Not sure if that helps.

She in the house w me for now...in a rescue crate.

Went she was limping a month ago I attributed it to a hard landing off a roost since it appeared temporary.

She’s now raising her back side up as if she wants to lay but then nothing.

Attachments

• 97E65139-0CBF-4DCC-B0A3-96822EF64262.jpeg
    97E65139-0CBF-4DCC-B0A3-96822EF64262.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 7
The pupil defect is called a coloboma, common in birds, and in humans. Some think that it looks like the ocular form of Mareks, but usually the ocular form of Mareks causes a faded grey iris with an irregular small pupil.

Hopefully, the lame leg and curled under toes is not a symptom of Mareks, but an injury. You can offer some extra riboflavin, in a poultry vitamin, human B complex, or a small amount of liver which might help the curled toes. There is a blood test for Mareks through RAL lab in Texas that you can collect yourself and send in for about $38 including the supplies to collect it and the test. Otherwise, a necropsy through hour state vet can be performed to look for Mareks if you lose her.

1609618789028.jpeg

No, the vaccine works best if done as day olds at the hatchery. Then it takes 2 weeks to provide immunity. If someone has Mareks in their environment, the chickens have already been exposed. That is why it is important to get a diagnosis eventually. Mareks is passed through the feather dust and dander, and it remains a long time in the environment. If she has it, the others are already exposed. She might be more comfortable with her flock, but separated in a dog crate so that she is not being picked on. But that is up to you. Mareks vaccines are available in 1000 dose vials from a couple of online stores, and the vaccine must be used within an hour after mixing it.

I will keep an eye on her but put her back with the flock. I’m sure she’ll be happier there. Thanks for the info and i will report updates when they are available.

I haven’t checked to see if she’s egg bound. You mentioned that in the first response. Should I still investigate that avenue?

Update**** she was able to get up to the nesting box a lay an egg. Good news I hope but it laying in the corner of the coop.

I will put her into the coop when the others go in and see how she does overnight.

Back
Top Bottom