Limping hen

Bet75

Hatching
Apr 26, 2021
1 of my 7 month old pekin bantam has started limping. Sometimes she loses her balance and starts flapping her wings. Her leg sort of stays straight when walking. When I pick her up the leg stays straight. I have separated her from my other 2 hens. I am a first time keeper of chickens and would appreciate any help and advice anyone could give me.

Are these your first chickens? Where did you get them? Feed store or private party? What have you been feeding? Have they been vaccinated for Marek's? How did you brood them?

Yes these are my first chickens, I got then from a private seller. I was told they were vaccinated but I have since messaged the seller to ask about mareks but he hasn't got back to me. They have been eating layer pellets, kitchen scraps, mealworms and corn. Unfortunately I had to get her put down 😞 she wasn't eating or drinking and she looked as if she was suffering. Yesterday I notice another hen has a slight limp, I have checked for injury and I haven't noticed anything. Still hoping for some advice, I'm hoping I can help this 1.

Ask your breeder friend if they incubated the eggs or had a broody hen hatch them. They may have been vaccinated for Marek's but carry the leucosis virus, which is present in more flocks than anyone is usually aware of.

I have the leucosis virus in my flock and recently, I had a broody brood four chicks. Three out of the four died at around seven months after receiving a huge dose of her virus shed during the time they slept under the broody hen. I documented my struggles trying to save them here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ It was confirmed by a necropsy from a state lab.

Yes these are my first chickens, I got then from a private seller. I was told they were vaccinated but I have since messaged the seller to ask about mareks but he hasn't got back to me. They have been eating layer pellets, kitchen scraps, mealworms and corn. Unfortunately I had to get her put down 😞 she wasn't eating or drinking and she looked as if she was suffering. Yesterday I notice another hen has a slight limp, I have checked for injury and I haven't noticed anything. Still hoping for some advice, I'm hoping I can help this 1.
any developments? How's that second one doing?

Back
Top Bottom