Limping hen.

AlexUK

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
Hi,
One of my hens has a pretty severe limp.
She isn’t picked on or bullied so I checked for bumble foot and couldn’t see anything or find any damage.

Thought I would come here for some ideas.

I had a hen a while back, who began limping. (really couldn't put much to any weight on that leg). We really couldn't find anything wrong ( we are both registered nurses) with the leg. So we placed her in the hospital/broody cage. She seemed to slowly get better, and the cage was a see/no touch in with the other girls. After a few weeks, we went out to feed, water and let the other girls out..
When we went to feed our sick girl, she began to cry. So we decided to see what would happen if we let her out. Sure enough she ran to the rest of the flock and rejoined them without any problems.
I would put her some place safe, where she can move around if she wants, but doesn't have to, no roost bar and where she can see and interact with her flock mates for a few weeks and see how she is doing. Good Luck, I hope it is just a tendon sprain.

I had two hens from the same coop who developed limps on the same day. I suspect there was a kerfuffle when both girls tried to exit the raised coop at the same time. They get pretty rambunctious.

I built a new, better ramp and took them to the vet for anti-inflammatory medicine (she also couldn't tell me exactly why they were limping). One girl recovered completely; the older girl still limps.

I would hope, as Ursuline Chick suggested, that it could be just a sprain. Good luck with your girl.

Hi,
Yes I am hoping just a twist or sprain. In the past I have had a hen that was fine after a couple of days but this one seems worse.
She got an evening Epsom salt bath just in case and I have her separated but with a buddy for company.

Just keep her separated and comfortable. It may just be a sprain, twist or a bruise. I have a Polish hen who broke her joint at her hock and she recovered miraculously and fast too!

Back
Top Bottom