Limping hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beachchickie, Jun 22, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I came home to a limping sexlink pullet. I looked at both feet really good. No problems. Not one thing wrong with feet or legs that I could see. I can't figure it out.

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

You'll need to provide more info to get some help. Start by separating this bird and putting her where you can observe her more closely for symptoms in addition to limping. Answer the questions in the "sticky" post at the top of this forum titled, "Have an Emergency / Disease? Please read first!" The more info you can supply, the better your responses will be.

3. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I will try to look more closely this afternoon. Right now I have to go to work. Still limping this am. Otherwise she seems ok. Eats drinks and pooh is OK.

4. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Same thing is going on with my RIR. I think she just kinda sprained it the other day when she jumped off the roost and decided to try to fly out the coop door instead of the few feet off the roost.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I had a limping pullet, too, and here's how I handled it: I really looked her leg over, and found nothing unusual, so I just made sure she was in a calm environment, with food and water handy, and I let her rest. That was it. After about a week, she was fine.

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    OK she is just sitting alot. She will still run from me as best she can. I caught her-feet seem fine-legs are straight-hungry as a racehorse-pooh ok-I think she hasn't eaten much over the last 2days. She was fine on Mon. Yesterday during the day husband noticed her limping. I have put her in a cage by herself until I can catch another pullet to put with her tonite. I plan to keep her separate for a day or two. She seems fine except the limp and she hasn't eaten because she probably got run of by the hens until she gave up or to tired to stand. I feel bad I did not separate her today but I thought it was not bad enough to keep her from eating. I have food all over the place. I figured she would find an isolated feeder and get something. If anyone has any other suggestions please help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by