Limping hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tallyho, Sep 6, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I have a broody hen who has a little bit of a limp. She's close to a year old and has been sitting in her nest box for the last few weeks. I make her get out a couple of times per day. Yesterday I noticed she was limping. I'm assuming all that sitting might have caused some bother to her leg or she injured herself as she got in and out of the box. She's in a foul posture and mood everytime I shoo her out. And then she walks around half crouched and well, you know how they are. The only thing I fear disease-wise is Mareks but she's too old for that, right?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know the answer to your question about Marek's, but I would bet the problem is the setting. Just watch her and giver her some time. You might check her for leg mites or a sore if you haven't already.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

When they're seriously broody, it's kind of hard to tell what the problem could be, as they don't act "normal" anyhow. But I would check the bottom of her foot first, for signs of bumblefoot (dark, scab looking place and possible swelling). At least that would eliminate one possibility.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by